Triban RC520 v Specialized Allez Sport v £1000 road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycledreams

Regular
Looking for a £1000 road bike for the London commute and occasional long rides to replace my old Allez. Must take a pannier. I don't plan on riding off-road, trails etc. I want a speedy bike that doubles as a commuter.

The Triban RC520 'Winter Edition' seems like an obvious choice re: specs. (105 is seriously impressive.) However, I'm worried the endurance geometry/weight would feel sluggish and I'd miss out on the responsiveness/twitchiness of a speedier road bike. Has anyone seen this 'winter edition' in person? Nice looking?

The Specialized Allez Sport seems speedier and has rear mounts, but the spec is obviously not as good. Is it worth the sacrifice in spec for a degree more responsiveness? Would I even notice, with the laptop in pannier? Has anyone compared these bikes?

Any other options to throw into the mix?

I'm 5'10 and fall between sizes - veering toward Medium.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/road-bike-rc520-winter-limited-edition/_/R-p-326189

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/15938/2021-allez-sport/

Thanks,
Tom

Twilkes

Guru
I had a similar conundrum and went for a Boardman SLR - the 8.8 was £720 with a cycling organisation discount and nude is more than a match for my Cannondale Optimo which would now retail at about £1250 with rim brakes. It easily fits SKS Bluemels mudguards and has the additional rear mounts for a rack. 10 speed so chains and cassettes are cheaper than 11 speed, and in reality I just didn't need 105 over Tiagra, which I'd been running happily for two years. https://www.t3.com/reviews/boardman-slr-8-8-disc-review

You could look at the SLR 8.9 carbon but I don't know about fitting mudguards and a rack to that.

I looked at the Triban but concluded it was a bit too upright for me, the stack was something like an extra 4cm (largest size in each range) whereas the Boardman geometry pretty much matched the Cannondale. Also, while the brakes on the Triban are hybrid hydros so on the face of it better than the Boardman's Tektro mechanicals, the wheels on the Triban are probably much worse, that seems to be the thing everyone changes about a Triban, and which would make it feel less 'racy'.

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
Looking for a £1000 road bike for the London commute and occasional long rides to replace my old Allez. Must take a pannier. I don't plan on riding off-road, trails etc. I want a speedy bike that doubles as a commuter.

The Triban RC520 'Winter Edition' seems like an obvious choice re: specs. (105 is seriously impressive.) However, I'm worried the endurance geometry/weight would feel sluggish and I'd miss out on the responsiveness/twitchiness of a speedier road bike. Has anyone seen this 'winter edition' in person? Nice looking?

The Specialized Allez Sport seems speedier and has rear mounts, but the spec is obviously not as good. Is it worth the sacrifice in spec for a degree more responsiveness? Would I even notice, with the laptop in pannier? Has anyone compared these bikes?

Any other options to throw into the mix?

I'm 5'10 and fall between sizes - veering toward Medium.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/road-bike-rc520-winter-limited-edition/_/R-p-326189

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/15938/2021-allez-sport/

Thanks,
Tom

Where are you located? I have a Triban 540 with rim breaks and 105 that has only sat on a Turbo for sale soon - that would be cheaper and nippier than the winter edition, which I have to say looks clunky.

But the Allez would feel quicker I'd say.

Boardman is a great shout too btw.

EDIT - London commute might give your location away! Forget my sale offer :laugh:

OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
I had a similar conundrum and went for a Boardman SLR - the 8.8 was £720 with a cycling organisation discount and nude is more than a match for my Cannondale Optimo which would now retail at about £1250 with rim brakes. It easily fits SKS Bluemels mudguards and has the additional rear mounts for a rack. 10 speed so chains and cassettes are cheaper than 11 speed, and in reality I just didn't need 105 over Tiagra, which I'd been running happily for two years. https://www.t3.com/reviews/boardman-slr-8-8-disc-review

You could look at the SLR 8.9 carbon but I don't know about fitting mudguards and a rack to that.

I looked at the Triban but concluded it was a bit too upright for me, the stack was something like an extra 4cm (largest size in each range) whereas the Boardman geometry pretty much matched the Cannondale. Also, while the brakes on the Triban are hybrid hydros so on the face of it better than the Boardman's Tektro mechanicals, the wheels on the Triban are probably much worse, that seems to be the thing everyone changes about a Triban, and which would make it feel less 'racy'.
This is brilliant, thank you. I'd completely overlooked the SLR 8.8, having turned down the nice-looking carbon 8.9 because it lacks rear mounts. The Boardman seems to answer my conundrum – it looks speedier than the Triban. And Tiagra is fine I'm sure.

How do you find the mechanical disc brakes – do they tend to make noise or fall out of line?
Do you recommend paying for Halfords' CycleCare plan?

Tom

Twilkes

Guru
The Tektro brakes are better than the Promax that were on my Cannondale - if you read up on how to set up and maintain disc brakes and follow the instructions to the letter they're fine, never had any squealing or shrieking, they do make a bit of noise while braking hard but no worse than the V brakes on my hybrid, and it's not the high-pitched squeal people complain about. I've not had to change pads yet but will deal with that when it happens. I don't think I would go back to rim brakes on a half-decent bike, simply because I don't trust myself to clean and maintain it well enough for the rims not to get trashed. :smile:

It's always difficult to compare bikes, but the Boardman feels nippier off the lights than the Cannondale was, and I got a few PRs on a downhill section on a ride I've done probably twenty times on the previous bike, so it's no slouch. It has a Halfords-only stigma but it's a steal at £720.

Twilkes

Guru
Sorry - I built it up myself, mainly so I got it 5 days earlier, but it's just putting the bars, pedals and a wheel on. I went for the £25 Cycleplan simply because they'll replace all the cables before the 12 months are up, amongst other things, saves me doing it. I'm happy setting up a bike myself so didn't really need any regular service plan beyond that.

OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
Thanks this is really helpful. If I got the bike I'd probably switch over my carbon seat post and add some colourful bar tape. I'm now mentally weening myself off the Triban RC520, as I had invested in the idea of it. In an ideal world I'd take both for a test ride but not sure that's possible.

Twilkes

Guru
Ha, I did the same with the bar tape, it's quite a monochrome bike. :smile:

OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
Nice setup! Looks well cared for :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you recommend paying for Halfords' CycleCare plan?

Tom
I wouldn't as their mechanics are a mixed bunch. I'd find a well regarded local bike shop to do any maintenance you can't do for yourself. Whereabouts in London are you?

If you join British Cycling, you'll get legal/3rd party indemnity cover that is IMO indispensable for a London commuter and 10% off at Halfords (they do Commuter and Ride cover, I have the latter, the former doesn't cover you for leisure cycling, only commute and utility).
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/m...C1NvAi3JJUMHpsPakznUFrc4oILIKnTQaAjg9EALw_wcB
I can send you a referral code to get £10 off membership :okay:

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The welds / finishing on the Boardman frame are much nicer than the Triban finish, which is a bit agricultural, although perfectly serviceable.

OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
Bad news, Halfords doesn't take Cyclescheme... I might not be able to get the Boardman after all. Will speak to my HR.

In case the Boardman is a no-go, are there any other alternatives to the Triban?

Top Bottom