Triban RC520 v Specialized Allez Sport v £1000 road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
Bad news, Halfords doesn't take Cyclescheme... I might not be able to get the Boardman after all. Will speak to my HR.

In case the Boardman is a no-go, are there any other alternatives to the Triban?

Using the British Cycling discount and an interest free loan (credit card if poss?) the discount would be pretty similar if not more?

Twilkes

Guru
If it helps, once you've bought a bike you can then cancel the British Cycling membership within the cooling off period... :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Bad news, Halfords doesn't take Cyclescheme... I might not be able to get the Boardman after all. Will speak to my HR.

In case the Boardman is a no-go, are there any other alternatives to the Triban?
What else has your research thrown up? See what the retailers who do take Cyclescheme have in stock in your price range?
You could always put better wheels (especially if they still have the ones that are a well documented bugger to change tyres on) and lighter faster tyres on the Triban, although for commuting, practicality and durability more important than speed (especially in winter). Go look at it and see what you think?

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What else has your research thrown up? See what the retailers who do take Cyclescheme have in stock in your price range?
You could always put better wheels (especially if they still have the ones that are a well documented bugger to change tyres on) and lighter faster tyres on the Triban, although for commuting, practicality and durability more important than speed (especially in winter). Go look at it and see what you think?
have they got the same problematic wheels as the other triban disc bikes with regards getting the tyre on/ off ?

OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
I'll look into the British Cycling membership, thank you.

Genesis might be too gravel-oriented/weighty for my purposes, thanks.

The Planet X London Road is an interesting option, though I'm not sure how the Sram 1x drivetrain feels compared to the regular 2x Shimano - apparently the top end is missing slightly. I'd love to try it.

This Orbea Vector is another option I'm considering - it's nicely discounted.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Or...j-GRP6R4wD8YXQb-RGUaAoENEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm heading to Decathlon Surrey Quays now. I bet they won't have the RC520 in-store but I can hopefully hop on another road bike to see what they geometry's like.

The Boardman is still up there -- will speak to HR in the morning.

Thanks all.

OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
Update:

I went to Decathlon and tried the RC520. The 105 groupset/brakes are lovely but the bike did feel too stable. The handlebar features an oval design which seemed indicative of its intended purpose: long, comfortable rides. Huge tyre clearances. It didn't feel sporty enough. Still great value.

I realise Boardman sells through Tredz.com, which does accept Cyclescheme (Hooray!)

I've ordered a Medium Boardman SLR 8.8 (I'm 5'10, does this sound right?) to Halfords. My plan is to try to bike there and, if I like it, return the bike and buy it on Tredz.

In the meantime, if any other ideas pop up please let me know. Thank you @Twilkes for putting me on to this model.

New question: How upgradable is the SLR 8.8? Which bits do you think are worth upgrading?

vickster

Legendary Member
Update:

I went to Decathlon and tried the RC520. The 105 groupset/brakes are lovely but the bike did feel too stable. The handlebar features an oval design which seemed indicative of its intended purpose: long, comfortable rides. Huge tyre clearances. It didn't feel sporty enough. Still great value.

I realise Boardman sells through Tredz.com, which does accept Cyclescheme (Hooray!)

I've ordered a Medium Boardman SLR 8.8 (I'm 5'10, does this sound right?) to Halfords. My plan is to try to bike there and, if I like it, return the bike and buy it on Tredz.

In the meantime, if any other ideas pop up please let me know. Thank you @Twilkes for putting me on to this model.

New question: How upgradable is the SLR 8.8? Which bits do you think are worth upgrading?
I'd consider TRP Spyre dual-piston brakes if you find the stock ones lacking.

Otherwise tyres, although you may want something more solid for commuting.

If it's got black tape, change that straightway :whistle:

Otherwise, you shouldn't really need to upgrade anything (maybe change the saddle if the stock doesn't suit your derriere)

Proper fixed mudguards (Planet X have been selling off SKS Chromoplastics very cheaply, or Balfes have been offering discounts).

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSSKSCP28/sks-chromoplastic-mudguard-700c (35mm to go with 25-28mm tyres, or wider if going say 35mm tyres)

Plus a nice light Tortec Ultralite rack (unless you plan to use the Topeak slide on bags)

And a couple of big strong locks as using in London...plus insurance to cover replacement as you are buying on C2W (*you don't want to have to pay for it if it gets nicked during the 'hire' period)

Last edited:

Twilkes

Guru
This is the sizing chart:

Height (cm)SMLXL
Height (cm)170 - 179177 - 183181 - 189187 - 195
Inside Leg (cm)74 - 8278 - 8582 - 8986 - 94

i'm 6ft5 but 34" inside leg (or 195cm and 86cm) so ride an XL. If they'd offered an XXL I'd have probably gone for that but mainly to get a bit of extra length, not that the upper sizes always give you that, it's often just a little bit of extra height.

So assuming your inside leg is 30" or more and you don't mind more of a stretch position the Medium sounds about right, you might be a bit squashed on a small.

I'm not sure what I'd upgrade on it, certainly not before anything wore out. Possibly compressionless cable housing for the brakes but the brakes are fine. I fitted my favourite saddle on it but that's just a personal thing, the stock saddle is not dissimilar to a Fabric Scoop, which most people seem to get on with.

straas

Matt
Interested in the boardman 8.8 now as a winter bike.

I have BC so would be reduced to £720 - I also have a work scheme where I can buy gift vouchers at discount. Does anyone know if it's possible to do that here?

Would effectively make the price £670 which seems too rude to pass up on...

Twilkes

Guru
One is a discount and the other is a method of payment so I would have thought it was possible. Assuming it's standard Halfords vouchers that you pay less for, e.g. it's a £100 voucher that you bought from your company for £95?

edit - looks like Halfords only sell gift cards via their stores/website, so if you have some different kind of gift vouchers then that might invoke the 'no other vouchers' clause that Vickster pointed out on BC's webpage. Worth asking though.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Interested in the boardman 8.8 now as a winter bike.

I have BC so would be reduced to £720 - I also have a work scheme where I can buy gift vouchers at discount. Does anyone know if it's possible to do that here?

Would effectively make the price £670 which seems too rude to pass up on...
The Ts & Cs are pretty clear on the BC voucher page. Have a look out the checkout page, is there a space for voucher codes, the BC number, and a separate one for gift cards?

Looks like BC code applied in basket and gift cards at checkout so should in theory be possible
Please Note: Gift Cards and E-Gift Cards can be applied in checkout.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
I'd consider TRP Spyre dual-piston brakes if you find the stock ones lacking.

Otherwise tyres, although you may want something more solid for commuting.

If it's got black tape, change that straightway :whistle:

Otherwise, you shouldn't really need to upgrade anything (maybe change the saddle if the stock doesn't suit your derriere)

Proper fixed mudguards (Planet X have been selling off SKS Chromoplastics very cheaply, or Balfes have been offering discounts).

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSSKSCP28/sks-chromoplastic-mudguard-700c (35mm to go with 25-28mm tyres, or wider if going say 35mm tyres)

Plus a nice light Tortec Ultralite rack (unless you plan to use the Topeak slide on bags)

And a couple of big strong locks as using in London...plus insurance to cover replacement as you are buying on C2W (*you don't want to have to pay for it if it gets nicked during the 'hire' period)
Thanks this is helpful and in line with my sense. I had toyed with the idea of spending more on the full carbon 105 Boardman SLR 8.9, but I don't think it's right because:

1) no rear mounts
2) too pretty for London
3) the SLR 8.8 is in budget and will surely be a nice ride
4) aluminium is probably better for daily commute

My plan is to use the SLR 8.8 and then, in a few years, to get a carbon bike for dedicated rides.

Top Bottom