Triban RC520 v Specialized Allez Sport v £1000 road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
This is the sizing chart:

Height (cm)SMLXL
Height (cm)170 - 179177 - 183181 - 189187 - 195
Inside Leg (cm)74 - 8278 - 8582 - 8986 - 94

i'm 6ft5 but 34" inside leg (or 195cm and 86cm) so ride an XL. If they'd offered an XXL I'd have probably gone for that but mainly to get a bit of extra length, not that the upper sizes always give you that, it's often just a little bit of extra height.

So assuming your inside leg is 30" or more and you don't mind more of a stretch position the Medium sounds about right, you might be a bit squashed on a small.

I'm not sure what I'd upgrade on it, certainly not before anything wore out. Possibly compressionless cable housing for the brakes but the brakes are fine. I fitted my favourite saddle on it but that's just a personal thing, the stock saddle is not dissimilar to a Fabric Scoop, which most people seem to get on with.
Thanks @Twilkes I've ordered the Medium. Will report back once I've tried it.

straas

Matt
Highjacking this thread again;

I'm after a bike for winter club runs, around 17mph with hills or 20mph for flatter rides.

I'd stick on full guards.

Would the SLR 8.8 or ADV 8.8 be more suitable?

Twilkes

Guru
Highjacking this thread again;

I'm after a bike for winter club runs, around 17mph with hills or 20mph for flatter rides.

I'd stick on full guards.

Would the SLR 8.8 or ADV 8.8 be more suitable?
Nothing in that makes me think you need an 'adventure' bike, unless you like the idea of bigger tyres, flared bars and lower gearing. But equally you could do all of the above on an adventure bike too, although you'd probably want to swap the knobbly tyres for slicks. The ADV8.6 is similar price to the SLR8.8 and is 9 speed instead of 10, that would be the decider for me. Not sure the ADV8.8 is still available?

Twilkes

Guru
I went for the £25 Cycleplan simply because they'll replace all the cables before the 12 months are up, amongst other things, saves me doing it. I'm happy setting up a bike myself so didn't really need any regular service plan beyond that.

And this is why Halfords love selling Cycleplan - totally forgot I had it and never used it for anything at all and now the 12 months has expired, £25 down the drain. :smile:

• Hugs
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom