Trice Front suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
your lucky as i also spoke to Patrick and mines to old :sad: i also loss traction on steep gravely hills
Yes and it's a simple problem, the further behind the rider the rear wheel makes contact with the road the more likely you are to lose traction.
An ICE S (Very long) had far less grip then a Q or T model. Moreover my 2011 Catrike Trail has a rear wheel that's practically under the seat and has much better traction than my much longer 2007 ICE QNT. Moving the seat backwards will always help traction, but then so will a Big Apple tyre!
As to gearing I find a LOWER ratio will give a smoother torque, so keeping traction whereas with a HIGHER ratio in the same situation it is harder to give smooth torque and you will lose traction.I know the theory says there should be no difference, but in real life I've found it does.

For example.
Using 40 front to 20 rear (on a 20" rear wheel) and pedalling slowly my QNT would spin up the rear wheel on a greasy 25% gradient while on the same road, a few minutes later, using a 24-20 and spinning quickly it would glide up the same slope, at the same road speed!

OP
OP
Tilley

Tilley

Über Member
Seat bracket purchased second hand via another forum and successfully fitted with some adjustment of the carrier. Certainly makes the front end feel lighter and on the test ride appeared to make a difference whilst climbing.
Front suspension conversion just completed, but need to check tracking before I test ride. Bike now sits a little higher and the front mudguards will require some major adjustment before I can get them to fit.

OP
OP
Tilley

Tilley

Über Member
First short test ride in the dark and I can thoroughly recommend the suspension conversion, despite the eye watering cost. It is as good as everybody said it would be I no longer think about alternative routes to avoid poor road surfaces and whilst I still look out for potholes they are less jarring. I will need to adjust the mudguards as they are rubbing slightly but otherwise really pleased with the result.

The downside (and it is only a minor one) is that the Trice mudguards are attached to the frame above the suspension and not below, as the HP Velotecnnik ones are. That makes the guards look ridiculously high above the wheels, but it should all settle down when you get aboard.

OP
OP
Tilley

Tilley

Über Member
All sorted and fully tested today with ascent of Draycott steep. The road had been resurfaced so was silky sooth, but as it had rained the road was still wet. No wheel spin so clean if slow ascent with no stops. Front suspension certainly proved its worth on the other roughly surfaced roads and tracks. Special note to anyone wanting to use the Strawberry line, due to water distribution works the tunnel and sections either side are closed, diversions are in place some across fields and using bridleways making life difficult, but not impossible on the trike.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
ICE do mudguard supports for suspension models that fits to the suspended part thus keeping the mudguards at the same distance from the tyres.

HTH

P.S.

You could always sell your old ones as most second hand trikes don't have them and in this country you need them!

Last edited:
ICE do mudguard supports for suspension models that fits to the suspended part thus keeping the mudguards at the same distance from the tyres.
It looks like a new bracket from the calliper mounts to the mudguard to replace the one off the headset.
Difference in price between models is £25 if buying new.
But I'm not sure how much extra vibration you'll have in the mudguards due to a longer bracket, so probably not as good if you mount lights to the mudguards.

Top Bottom