tricross which bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
[QUOTE 1755622, member: 45"]That's marketing for you. It's a cross bike -high BB, loads of room for fat tyres, cantilever brakes, internal cable routing on the newer ones, and the biggest giveaway being the flat underside of the top tube so that you can shoulder the bike comfortably.

Specialized aren't stupid though and know that they'll get far more sales marketing it as an all-rounder, because that's what most of us buy them for. I'll bet that's not how the original marketing of them went.[/quote]

Actually it's a blend of a cross bike and a relaxed tourer (think Roubaix).

Unlike 'hybrid', cyclocross is a very specifically defined term. Cyclocross bikes have pure form and function, and Tricross is about as distant from that as a 'cross' bike can get. Go along to any local league race, and I guarantee there will be no Tricrosses on the starting line. Plenty of Cruxes though.

In addition to the things that you mention that make it 'cross', you neglect the high weight, very upright position, relatively short wheelbase due to relatively upright headtube angle, Zertz inserts!!!, gearing (a triple FFS), downtube cable routing, and less significantly rack and bottle mounts - all of which make it 'not cross'.

potsy

Rambler
Actually it's a blend of a cross bike and a relaxed tourer (think Roubaix).

Unlike 'hybrid', cyclocross is a very specifically defined term. Cyclocross bikes have pure form and function, and Tricross is about as distant from that as a 'cross' bike can get. Go along to any local league race, and I guarantee there will be no Tricrosses on the starting line. Plenty of Cruxes though.

In addition to the things that you mention that make it 'cross', you neglect the high weight, very upright position, relatively short wheelbase due to relatively upright headtube angle, Zertz inserts!!!, gearing (a triple FFS), downtube cable routing, and less significantly rack and bottle mounts - all of which make it 'not cross'.
I think VamP was once scalped by a Tricross with full guards, rack and paniers and he hasn't got over it yet :tongue:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I don't really care what it's called; I've got a Tricross and I love it! If the OP is wanting advice on whether to get a Tricross (rather than a cyclocross) then my advice would be .... go for it!
I hadn't even heard of cyclocross when I decided I liked the Tricross, and have no wish to ever use it for cyclocross! I also have a road bike (Secteur) and a MTB (Trek 6500), but the bike that gets used the most, by a huge margin, is the Tricross. It can do everything from touring to light off roading. It has mudguards fitted which are pretty much a necessity around the wet west coast of Scotland. I like the triple chainset as I am fast approaching 50 and all routes out of my home town involve big hills. Mine has morphed into more of a tourer these days with rack, guards, 2 bottle holders, and a Brooks saddle. It has already done 2 trips in France and a C2C last year. This year I am planning to do France from north to south (Caen to Biarritz), hip injury allowing. Strip off all those extra bits and pieces and stick on some 23mm tyres and it makes a reasonable road bike too.

Cyclist33

[QUOTE 1753657, member: 45"]I'd define a hybrid as any bike which takes ideas from more than one recognised type of bike (like MTB, road bike, cx, bmx).

A tricross isn't a hybrid. It's a cyclocross bike.[/quote]

Lol, but cyclocross takes its ideas from more than one recognised type of bike, so doesn't that make it a hybrid??

Stu

Norm

Cyclocross bikes have pure form and function, and Tricross is about as distant from that as a 'cross' bike can get. Go along to any local league race, and I guarantee there will be no Tricrosses on the starting line. Plenty of Cruxes though.
CX-style doesn't limit the term to racing bikes and that does appear to be the very definition of "label snobbery".

The Crux is a beautiful bike, but the Tricross is no less a CX bike than the Secteur isn't a road bike, just because it isn't an S-Works Tarmac.

MTBs don't go up and down mountains (as there aren't any in the UK), tourers can be used for commuting, City bikes work in the countryside and shoppers can be used for more than just heading to Tescos.

However, most people will understand the terms CX, MTB, tourer, city bike or shopper and know what to expect, whereas none can produce a definition for "hybrid" which will identify between a Guv'nor and a Tap or a Sirrus and a Princess.

VamP

Banned
Oops, should have known Tricross owners would be up in arms :rolleyes:

Honestly, I have nothing against Tricross, but it's less of a CX bike than the Crux is. In the same way that the Secteur is less of a race bike than the Tarmac is.

Surely the fact that that makes them more versatile by 'crossing over' (*carefully avoids the use of the H word*) into another cycling genre is something we can agree on?

I am not sure why you're all so determined to claim the cyclocross 'badge' for your bikes seeing as by your own admission none of you desire to actually use them for cyclocross?

Ultimately, what does it matter if we're all happy with the bikes we have and the use we put them to?

:hugs:

VamP

Banned
Lol, but cyclocross takes its ideas from more than one recognised type of bike, so doesn't that make it a hybrid??

Stu

CX as bike type has a longer pedigree than all but road bike. Cyclocross has been a fully fledged and popular sport since the 1920s. I suspect the flow of ideas has been in the opposite direction.

Speedywheelsjeans

That's as good as I've seen anywhere but it does show that it is an ineffectual term to use when defining a bike.

A hybrid is something that doesnt conform to specific 'idealised' geometry for one specific purpose. Its not something you can define as it should have 'this, that and this' but something that is a cross breed between different geometries that is suited for a few different purposes but wont excel at any of them. Most of the bikes labelled hybrids we see sold are comfortable, but stiff and responsive road bike, commuter types. But a hybrid can also be a road bike with BMX wheels, or a front suspension road bike. You can effectively make anything a hybrid, but what they mean by the term hybrid is a bike that is not road or mountain, but somewhere in between that caters for the majority of britains cycling needs.

Is the term quite loose, yes, undoubtedly it is... but we all have a pretty good idea what someone has bought when they say they bought a hybrid. But as the term covers a few different set ups they change from bike to bike.

Top Bottom