Trigger vs twist grip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I really like gripshift stuff -never have really liked trigger shifters. However, it's just down to personal preference! I think a reasonable quality gripshift is usually a bit cheaper than an equivalent quality trigger shifter, so maybe if you are short of money..... Theoretically grip shift should have less parts and be more reliable (have had a couple of trigger shifters give up the ghost) but I suspect that's really more a product of the quality of the type of shifter you buy. Having said that, never had a gripshift stop working.... So cast my vote for gripshift -but keep in mind I'd use trigger shifters too and probably wouldn't replace them if the bike I bought came with them on and they worked fine.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Some great replies here i guess its a bit like some people like driving automatic cars and some like manual.
After having been out a few times now i am getting to like the twisters more.
Its been so long since i had a bike its like a new world to me. :bicycle:
They are the shimano Revoshift type so should be o/k quality wise. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I really like gripshift stuff -never have really liked trigger shifters. However, it's just down to personal preference! I think a reasonable quality gripshift is usually a bit cheaper than an equivalent quality trigger shifter, so maybe if you are short of money..... Theoretically grip shift should have less parts and be more reliable (have had a couple of trigger shifters give up the ghost) but I suspect that's really more a product of the quality of the type of shifter you buy. Having said that, never had a gripshift stop working.... So cast my vote for gripshift -but keep in mind I'd use trigger shifters too and probably wouldn't replace them if the bike I bought came with them on and they worked fine.
You pays your money, you takes your choice.
Having that i can only go so far each day due to a knee injury i am now really getting to like the twist shifter and find it very quick at changing which for me has been a real bonus.
I understand what others have said about having to grip the twister but luckily i do have a grip like a gorilla. ^_^
If the weather stays good i will try to extend a bit more day by day.
B T W very good forum glad i found it. :highfive:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Sssshhhhh! You've found the secret..... That secret is that its best to just get on your bike and ride. Pretty much any piece of equipment that has been specced on hundreds of thousands or millions of bikes is going to be OK. Sure, there have been advances or things that have made things easier, more efficient or more pleasant, but just think about it -riders in the early Tour De France had bikes that some people would say you shouldn't be riding to tour around France yet somehow they managed to do it! Enjoy your riding :smile:

Having that i can only go so far each day due to a knee injury i am now really getting to like the twist shifter and find it very quick at changing which for me has been a real bonus.
I understand what others have said about having to grip the twister but luckily i do have a grip like a gorilla. ^_^
If the weather stays good i will try to extend a bit more day by day.
B T W very good forum glad i found it. :highfive:

postman

Legendary Member
Just found this.My suggestion is
images.jpg

Ian193

Über Member
I always found that when I was pulling on the bars going uphill the gears would change by themselves :sad: so made a point of getting triggers on the next one

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I always found that when I was pulling on the bars going uphill the gears would change by themselves :sad: so made a point of getting triggers on the next one
Not quite sure how that could happen unless you were pulling on the twist grips.;)

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
Never been a fan of twist grips, it's triggers for me!

As others have said, it's all down to personal preference.

For me personally, I very much dislike the twistgrip shifters on my daughter's MTB: I find they rub the skin on my hands, you do need to grip the shifter quite tightly to work it, and riding uphill I suppose I managed to pull hard on the bars, which prompted a few unplanned gear changes. I prefer trigger shifters.

Just my opinion........

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member

For me personally, I very much dislike the twistgrip shifters on my daughter's MTB: I find they rub the skin on my hands, you do need to grip the shifter quite tightly to work it, and riding uphill I suppose I managed to pull hard on the bars, which prompted a few unplanned gear changes. I prefer trigger shifters.
Just my opinion........
Lucky i have skin like an elephant and grip like a vice. :smile:
If not gloves do the trick. ;)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

Just my opinion........
You shouldn't need to grip it that tightly, it should be a nice light movement. What brand and is the cable running freely?

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
You shouldn't need to grip it that tightly, it should be a nice light movement. What brand and is the cable running freely?
Its a Shimano Revo shift {21 speed} the bike has done virtually no work it was S/H when i got it two weeks ago.
After a knee injury i thought it would be good exercise which has been the case i just do a short run every day pick my route that is not too hilly.:smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Its a Shimano Revo shift {21 speed} the bike has done virtually no work it was S/H when i got it two weeks ago.
After a knee injury i thought it would be good exercise which has been the case i just do a short run every day pick my route that is not too hilly.:smile:
Reply was meant for Salad Dodger, however if you're having the same trouble can I suggest lubricating the cable and checking the plastic guide under the bottom bracket which can get gunked up with mud sprayed up by the front wheel.:okay:

Top Bottom