Trigger vs twist grip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Reply was meant for Salad Dodger, however if you're having the same trouble can I suggest lubricating the cable and checking the plastic guide under the bottom bracket which can get gunked up with mud sprayed up by the front wheel.:okay:
Ohh my mistake.
Shifting from 7 down to 1 is always going to be tighter be it twist or trigger as the Deraileur springs are going to assist. :smile:

Tojo

Über Member
IMO I would go triggers all the way I remember the early twist grip I thought they were crap I'm surprised there making an appearance again as the first generation ones weren't popular, but saying that everyone was doing single track on MTB's then an when your hands were covered in mud you couldn't get enough grip on them as they were quite tight.....:shy:

Keith Oates

Janner
I also prefer Triggers but have used twist grip in the past and they are OK but as stated by Ian 193 I have also found that when pulling on the bars it's easy to twist out of a gear.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Replaced the revoshift on my old MTB with triggers in the winter, let's just say I'll never ever go back to twist grips.
Twisters are just about ok on the road but off road when it gets a bit sketchy they literally tie themselves and your hands in knots.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I have SRAM twist grips on a Tern folding bike, ok most of the time but sometimes I twist the bar grip inadvertently, especially when I need a good grip on the handlebars, causing unexpected gear changes.

I prefer trigger shifts but I like the simplicity of the grip shift on a low maintenance shopping bike.

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Replaced the revoshift on my old MTB with triggers in the winter, let's just say I'll never ever go back to twist grips.
Twisters are just about ok on the road but off road when it gets a bit sketchy they literally tie themselves and your hands in knots.
Yes the Revoshift are the ones fitted to my bike as i will be using mine for road use its not a problem.
My friend has triggers which i have used and i have actually found that twisters are quicker at changing gear perhaps its just the way i use them.
Looking at many new bikes at my L. B. S. there seems to be about 50% are now twisters. :rolleyes:
Like many things i guess what suits one doesn't another {horses for courses.}

si_c

Guru
My wife has them on her commuter, and she really likes them, I'm fairly ambivalent about them myself. My Dad has horrendous problems with his hybrid twist shifters, so much so that we plan to replace them. This is not so much to do with the quality of the shifters, but rather he has arthritis and has difficult manipulating them. So triggers it is.

Reply was meant for Salad Dodger, however if you're having the same trouble can I suggest lubricating the cable and checking the plastic guide under the bottom bracket which can get gunked up with mud sprayed up by the front wheel.:okay:
Hi Rickshaw Phil.

The bike is now at my daughter's flat a couple of hours away from me, so I can't be sure. The gears are certainly Shimano cheapest version (Altus????) and I think the shifters were Revoshift, but can't be certain.

The bike was bought new from a "proper" bike shop - not a supermarket special - so I would imagine the shifters were all correctly set up but they always felt quite stiff to use, even from day one. Not ridiculously so, but they always felt to me harder work than the trigger shifters on my bike. But my daughter preferred the twistgrip shifters, as she was a terror for stopping in way the wrong gear, and could then "crash" down through the gears to find something easier to start off in. She never seems to have got her head round changing down as you coast to a stop, in readiness for pulling away again.

andyfraser

Über Member
Two things have conspired against me lately. Firstly, when riding fixed I don't have gears so I sometimes forget to change down when stopping on a geared bike. Secondly, I seem to be able to start in higher gears these days so sometimes don't change down enough. It's all good fun, except when I completely forgot to change down at all and had to pull away in 50x11!

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Two things have conspired against me lately. Firstly, when riding fixed I don't have gears so I sometimes forget to change down when stopping on a geared bike. Secondly, I seem to be able to start in higher gears these days so sometimes don't change down enough. It's all good fun, except when I completely forgot to change down at all and had to pull away in 50x11!
Make the most of being able to pull away in 50x11 there will come a time when the lowest gear isn't low enough.:giggle:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Rickshaw Phil.

The bike is now at my daughter's flat a couple of hours away from me, so I can't be sure. The gears are certainly Shimano cheapest version (Altus????) and I think the shifters were Revoshift, but can't be certain.

The bike was bought new from a "proper" bike shop - not a supermarket special - so I would imagine the shifters were all correctly set up but they always felt quite stiff to use, even from day one. Not ridiculously so, but they always felt to me harder work than the trigger shifters on my bike. But my daughter preferred the twistgrip shifters, as she was a terror for stopping in way the wrong gear, and could then "crash" down through the gears to find something easier to start off in. She never seems to have got her head round changing down as you coast to a stop, in readiness for pulling away again.
Hmmm, if it's been like that from new the possibilities I can think of are that the cable runs aren't ideal or possibly one or more of the outer cable ends haven't been opened up properly after being cut to size. These would both be things set up by the factory rather than the bike shop (bikes arrive at the shop mostly built up, just needing final assembly and adjustment).

I couldn't possibly comment on failing to shift down when coming to a halt, never doing that myself.:whistle:

Baba Ganoush

I have Sram Triggers on my mountain bike and Shimano Triggers on my touring bike ... but i would happily swap both for Sram X0 gripshift

@Muddyfox

Hi, I'm brand new on this forum. I saw you posted a picture of a Synapse with a flat bar. I have the same bike but the road version with the road handle bar and a 31.8mm stem. Can you please tell me what changes you made and what handlebar you have?

Thanks a lot.

Baba

Top Bottom