triple crank with 8speed cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I am seriously out of my depth on this one but can anyone tell me what the issues are likely to be if l try to run a 50 40 30 crank with an 8 speed cassette. Would l need double or triple shifters and what size chain etc etc. Forgive my ignorance but lve not tried this combination before !

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not a problem but you do need a triple shifter on the left, I run a few bikes with 3x7. Bear in mind you'll need at least a medium cage rear mech though or a long cage if running a wide ratio cassette.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It's not that uncommon. You'll need triple shifters, yes, and the front mech should be for a triple too. 8 speed chain, and adjust the chain as normal so you can shift into the big- big combination.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
All should be quite straightforward. You'll need to size your new chain but GCN have a three methods video for this on YouTube. Simplest is big ring front to big cog rear(omitting derailleur) plus two links. Make sure you buy a chain with a quick link .

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
All should be quite straightforward. You'll need to size your new chain but GCN have a three methods video for this on YouTube. Simplest is big ring front to big cog rear(omitting derailleur) plus two links. Make sure you buy a chain with a quick link .
Will do, thanks for that !

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It's a perfectly standard set up. You need a triple front mech, triple shifter for the front (unless you are running downtubes), and a GS or SGS rear mech. At 8sp you can use either a road (medium "GS" cage), or a MTB (long "SGS" cage) rear mech. You can also use 9sp derailleurs no problem.

My tourer is 48-38-28 (or 42-32-22) with an 11-32 8sp rear. I have a 9sp sora triple front mech, an Alivio 8sp rear, and old 2300 shifters. That's worked fine for over 10,000 miles :smile:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
It's a perfectly standard set up. You need a triple front mech, triple shifter for the front (unless you are running downtubes), and a GS or SGS rear mech. At 8sp you can use either a road (medium "GS" cage), or a MTB (long "SGS" cage) rear mech. You can also use 9sp derailleurs no problem.

My tourer is 48-38-28 (or 42-32-22) with an 11-32 8sp rear. I have a 9sp sora triple front mech, an Alivio 8sp rear, and old 2300 shifters. That's worked fine for over 10,000 miles :smile:
To be clear that's 'two' half-links of half an inch or a 'link' of one inch.
Gotcha ! thanks.

adamhearn

Veteran
As above though I wouldn't say that 50-40-30 is a common chainring size combination (closest/more 'normal' for off the shelf parts is 48-38-28). However, there's no reason those sizes would cause a problem. Quick links are chain width (aka speed) dependent; KMC's is 7/8 speed compatible.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
As above though I wouldn't say that 50-40-30 is a common chainring size combination (closest/more 'normal' for off the shelf parts is 48-38-28). However, there's no reason those sizes would cause a problem. Quick links are chain width (aka speed) dependent; KMC's is 7/8 speed compatible.
Its a vintage Campagnolo Centaur which l bought before l knew what l was going to do with it !

Attachments

• 2018-01-20 10.43.29.jpg
    2018-01-20 10.43.29.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 45

Ajax Bay

Guru
Its a vintage Campagnolo Centaur
Very nice chainset; and a good chainring combination, even if it doesn't meet @adamhearn 's valid if nit-picky definition of 'common'.
Triple chainset = triple ergo or STI (shifter). 8 speed cassette = 8 speed Campagnolo ergo and derailleur (if Campagnolo cassette) or if Shimano cassette: STI and Shimano rear derailleur.
Unless OP already has a square taper bottom bracket (for a triple), they will need one (eg UN-55) with a longish axle length (eg 113mm) to get the chain line correct with a triple.
Sheldon is well worth a read.
KMC's is 7/8 speed compatible.
KMC make 'quick links for all chain (speed) widths. Only those designed for 7/8 speed chains are 'compatible' (with an 8 speed chain which the OP's going to fit).

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Very nice chainset; and a good chainring combination, even if it doesn't meet @adamhearn 's valid if nit-picky definition of 'common'.
Triple chainset = triple ergo or STI (shifter). 8 speed cassette = 8 speed Campagnolo ergo and derailleur (if Campagnolo cassette) or if Shimano cassette: STI and Shimano rear derailleur.
Unless OP already has a square taper bottom bracket (for a triple), they will need one (eg UN-55) with a longish axle length (eg 113mm) to get the chain line correct with a triple.
Sheldon is well worth a read.

KMC make 'quick links for all chain (speed) widths. Only those designed for 7/8 speed chains are 'compatible' (with an 8 speed chain which the OP's going to fit).
Just in from a belated Burns Night French/Scots supper so best l read your info. a bit later ...on first read it looks very interesting ....thank you.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Just in from a belated Burns Night French/Scots supper so best l read your info. a bit later ...on first read it looks very interesting ....thank you.
I was wondering if l could use mirage 9speed ergo shifters with the triple chainset and 8 peed campagnolo cassette , l have a campagnolo triple front derailleur . Only asking because l happen to have the mirage shifters available !

Top Bottom