Triple on a road bike - yay or nay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

I don't mind 'Whole step', 'Double step' or even 'Alpine' chainsets.

Never had a 'Half step'.

You just have to remember where the combinations are, so when you shift rings, you get the chain up or down the correct number of sprockets.

PpPete

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
I think of my 30/42/52 ( with a 9 cassette ) as a 42 ring with 7 gears ( the middle 7 ). There are some higher gears with the big ring and some lower gears with the little ring.

With you there Jim. It's how I try to ride.... with the intention of only ever wearing out and replacing the middle ring.

But exactly what is a "half step" "single step" "double step" let alone an "alpine"?
Could you explain please - or link me to somewhere it's explained ?

Carboncyclestore

I have always had a triple on my road bike.

Like you I dont race I enjoy the European Raids and UK Sportives.

On the Raid Pyrenean I used the granny Ring on all the mountains and found it to be essential!! for me anyway.
On the Raid we were crossing 3 or 4 cols a day, one day we had the Cat 1 Marie Blanque, Hor Cat Aubisque and then had the Tourmalet at the end of the days riding..I rode strongly that day but honestly dont think I would have done it on a 39T.

On the U.K sportives I like to have it there if I need it which I always do because there is usually always at least 1 really steep climb.

I cant recommend a triple more from what you have said about the type of riding you do.

jimboalee

Carboncyclestore said:
I have always had a triple on my road bike.

Like you I dont race I enjoy the European Raids and UK Sportives.

On the Raid Pyrenean I used the granny Ring on all the mountains and found it to be essential!! for me anyway.
On the Raid we were crossing 3 or 4 cols a day, one day we had the Cat 1 Marie Blanque, Hor Cat Aubisque and then had the Tourmalet at the end of the days riding..I rode strongly that day but honestly dont think I would have done it on a 39T.

On the U.K sportives I like to have it there if I need it which I always do because there is usually always at least 1 really steep climb.

I cant recommend a triple more from what you have said about the type of riding you do.

Preparing for those climbs consists of a lot of 'leg press' in the gym, plus a few dozen 20 minute 300+ Watt sessions on the gym bike turning the cranks at 55 - 60 rpm.

A 39 x 21 should do the trick.

Sharky

Guru
Thought I'd take a trip down memory lane and look at some old posts.

But noticed a lot pf the posts are duplicates or even triplicates. Is it me or the site?

@Shaun

Cheers keith

PpPete

Legendary Member
@Gravity Aided
....he has gained a lot of experience .....
But not much wisdom!
Having ridden triples for years now I'm seriously considering my options to achieve a super compact (sub-compact?) as modern RDs have a sufficient range to make life bearable with only two rings up front.
My second best road bike is now running 44-28 front (mounted on middle & inner of triple crankset, with a bashguard outer) with 11-32 ten speed cassette. Gives a very appropriate spread of gears for an old fart like me.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
But exactly what is a "half step" "single step" "double step" let alone an "alpine"?
Could you explain please - or link me to somewhere it's explained ?
Half step was used back when the rear was only 5 or 6 speed.
If you had a 14-28 5-speed block, the interval between gears is about 20%.
The idea was that you would have 2 chainrings 10% apart, to split the difference in a rear shift.

You'd end up shifting at the front every shift, but you'd get smaller gaps between gears.
Going down from top, you'd have a sequence like ...
48/14, 44/14, 48/17, 44/17, 48/20...

You could get special front mechs to handle the small difference between chainrings.

"Half step plus granny" was also a thing - a triple like 48/44/24, which gave close ratio cruising gears without losing the climbing gears.

"Alpine" is a smaller than compact double - something like 42/28.
It gives the climbing gears for going up an Alp, and the expectation is that you aren't racing so 42/11 is high enough for the valley roads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom