Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Phones that claim 50% battery charge then drop to 10% within minutes of starting to use it, when you are outdoors and far from a charger.
i believe that is a sign of the battery being a bit buggered and in need of replacement.

My phone was doing the very same thing over Xmas and new year, so i ordered a couple of new batteries off ebay... at which point my phone decided to stop pi$$ing me about and started working normally again :cursing:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Ha ha - and also... counting a twin-towered building as 2 buildings of the same height! :laugh:
well there is that... but

top-ten-tallest-buildings-stock1_1020-jpg.jpg

...mostly it's the fact that the poor old Willis Tower, in 10th position, is being measured to its architectural height rather than its pinnacle/vanity height, when all the others are being measured to the very top of their spires. :cursing:

NA-BY570_WTC_NS_20131021183005.jpg

*Note that both images are from the same source! :whistle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Electronic ticketing!

I hadn't realised just what an impact this would have until this morning.

With a niggling injury, I decided no run or bike ride today so was left with an empty morning to fill. I thought I'd sort out my very unkept ticket box as it has hardly been added to for quite some time. I've got physical - nearly all paper - tickets going back a long, long way - I only began an actual collection of them in 1975 so that's a lot of paper to go through.

The tickets are predominantly football and of course paper is very rarely issued now, it all has to be on some smart device but I've categorised them into home tickets (that's one BIG pile), away tickets categorised into which team's stadium it was played - the oldest one of those was at Old Trafford and it cost £1.20! Champions League games at home - lots, away - fewer, FA Cup home and away and all Finals of whatever competition in whatever country. Then my wife was on miscellaneous tickets, most of which she'd also attended. Music, comedy, other stuff like Cirque du Soleil and other 'acrobatics', plays and finally, cinema tickets. I've been collecting those for a long long time.

Each ticket brought up a flash of memory of the actual occasion, the result, something that had happened, songs played, jokes told, that sort of thing. It was great. Great in a way we won't have any more because it will all be on our mobile phones or bar-code things we're issued with. This to me is a very large negative. We'd reminisce on each of the tickets of some experience we'd shared of the "do you remember..." sort of thing and that won't happen for kids starting to get experiences now. Some of these tickets take me back to being eleven years old. I don't think this will happen on someone's mobile or PDA in the future and it's regrettable. It's like I've had no experiences since about 2015 because there's no physical reminder or anything to reminisce about since then.

I've also seen the rising costs of things. £1.20 for a top division football match in 1978 and around £45 for the same thing nowadays. The first final ticket I have was £3.00 while they're charging up to £150 for this season's League Cup final at Wembley later this month.

Fat Lars

Just experienced one of my pet hates while watching the Dubai Classic Golf on TV. Rory Mcilroy teeing off greeted by "In the hole" from one of the spectators.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
F*%$ing dog owners who let their dogs run all over the place, stupid long leads. I try to be polite, ring my bell and they look at you like 'How dare you come close to my darling pooch.' Grrr! Rant over. Thank you.

I've also seen the rising costs of things. £1.20 for a top division football match in 1978 and around £45 for the same thing nowadays. The first final ticket I have was £3.00 while they're charging up to £150 for this season's League Cup final at Wembley later this month.
Is it not relative to what people earn though, approx 2hrs wages?

FA cup seems a lot though, I assume that's for the top ticket?

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Is it not relative to what people earn though, approx 2hrs wages?

FA cup seems a lot though, I assume that's for the top ticket?
It's not the FA cup.

Also, going back to that £1.20 ticket, this represented 3% of my then weekly salary. So if todays match ticket (approx £45 for today's top-flight games - in the blessed north anyway) were still 3% of today's weekly salary, that would have the majority of match-goers today earning £1,500 per week or £78,000 per year. Most people don't earn that much indicating that in a time of scarcely believable sums coming from outside match-day receipts, the match-going fan is being fleeced like never before.

Last edited:
Todays thing that has annoyed me

Road signs

specifically the teeny tiny blue one that are nailed to a post near a junction because
a) they are so bloomin' small that you often don;t spot them
and
b) when you spot one and decide that is the way you need to go - then you get to the next junction (in today's case a roundabout with 4 exits) and not a sign anywhere - nadda, nothing, zero naff all, the square root of bugger all
Thanks guys
I actually had to ask someone:eek:

The same goes for diversion signs sometimes
seems like they assume you will determine the correct way by telepathy because the route is obvious or something

Grrrrrrr

theclaud

Openly Marxist
This pillock. His smug face, his horrible shoes, and the weird uncool way he returns the ball to the kids. Why was he waiting there for them to drop the ball anyway, if he was supposed to be going in the other direction? Actually the whole ad with its dirgey Oasis track and patronising, sentimental, 'fabric of life' vignettes. No, make it the whole series, with its insulting 'It's a people thing' slogan. Is it b******s.

Top Bottom