Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
My father is ex-armed forces and drilled the Union flag orientation into me from an early age (mostly from commenting on upside-down ones when we were out and about). It is so ingrained that I can't look at a Union flag without analysing its orientation and often commenting. I was thrilled and impressed when I first saw the rear lights on the MINI and determined that they were not only asymmetric (as they should be) but also flying the correct way up. I read somewhere that these lights are not allowed on MINIs in the USA because of the asymmetry.

1643207052473.png

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I'm really good at spotting actors from different places - my wife is terrible at it, so we often get into "Oh, it's her/him!" followed by "yeah, they've been in stuff - what was it?" and me "come one, you know, we saw it recently!" and thus-forth, me teasing and her getting more frustrated until IMDB is deployed.
Nowadays when you see pretty well any actor on TV and ask "what have they been in?", you have about a 75% chance of being right if you reply "Doctors". :smile:

Why would I want to fly an English flag? I would not fly a union flag either known in Scotland as "The Butcher's Apron".

When I was a Boy Scout many years ago I sometimes had to raise that flag. I always made a point of putting it upside down and nobody ever commented on it.
No one has said you would want to, what do you think of Scottish people, living in Scotland flying a Scottish flag?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
these lights are not allowed on MINIs in the USA because of the asymmetry
If that's true, that's a bit rich coming from the Americans! They have combined rear brake/indicator lights on some cars that are the same colour, so that if your right blinker is going, then your right brake light is absent

In your opinion, I was wondering if it was just English people that she considered stupid.
I don't fly a flags before anyone asks.
I presume by 'she' you are referring to me, not the cat's mother?

Yes I do think any English person who is flying the Union Flag thinking that it's an English flag is unutterably stupid.

And I do think that flying 'the flag' - ie a single national flag - on a domestic property on a regular/daily basis is a remarkably stupid thing to do in general, be that flag English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, the Union flag or a Martian one ... the only logical reason I can see for doing it is that the person living at that property often forgets which country they are in, and needs to be reminded.

Flying a flag on a particular celebratory day, or in a specific , accepted, way as a signal/mark of an event is a different matter altogether, as is flying a flag on an 'official' building or elsewhere in response to regulations - or even just custom - requiring such identification.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Xmas decorations beyond the standard 12 days. My neighbours still have a sleigh & reindeer in their front garden.

And this nativity scene in Capel (Surrey) is presumably staying until Candlemas. Life-sized characters, a lot of effort, but now looks out of place.
1643210538720.png

I wish I'd taken a closer/better photo of the scary eyes. Almost as sinister as the hanged angel.
1643211406437.png

oldwheels

Legendary Member
No one has said you would want to, what do you think of Scottish people, living in Scotland flying a Scottish flag?
No problem with that and several are flying around my area including my neighbour who also has a Latvian flag up. His wife is Latvian and as an aside there are quite a few Latvian girls married and settled here.
I have not been on the European mainland now for some years but we were struck by the number of national flags on display compared to the UK.
Union flags in Scotland I have noticed on my travels on all Scottish islands are usually accompanied by Private Keep Out signs and on Ardnamurchan there was one which suggested that if you did not keep to a prescribed path you may be shot.
The local cycling club had several confrontations with English incomers who did not wish to understand our right of access and tried to close off paths. One threatened to call the police. They were asked if they would like a mobile number and when they called immediately they were answered by the local plod standing in front of them.:laugh:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Xmas decorations beyond the standard 12 days. My neighbours still have a sleigh & reindeer in their front garden.

And this nativity scene in Capel (Surrey) is presumably staying until Candlemas. Life-sized characters, a lot of effort, but now looks out of place.
View attachment 628267

I wish I'd taken a closer/better photo of the scary eyes. Almost as sinister as the hanged angel.
View attachment 628270
Is the guy in red wearing a crucifix?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Xmas decorations beyond the standard 12 days.
I found an old Santa statuette in the cellar of this house several years ago. I liked it so I cleaned it and put it on the mantelpiece for Christmas. Santa is still there looking down on me now! :laugh:

The local cycling club had several confrontations with English incomers who did not wish to understand our right of access and tried to close off paths.
There are always stupid people who do that kind of thing. Here is one irate farmer's answer to such people...

1643219900616.png

:laugh:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

View attachment 628267

View attachment 628270
That is horrific! :eek:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We have a large Hymer dealership nearby. There’s a very expensive motor home thingy, on their parking lot, with a grey decal across the back of an upside down union flag 😡

I suppose it could be some kind of Brexit comment but, really!
It is a distress signal after all so you could be right.:smile:

Top Bottom