Trouble shifting to outer ring with 105 5700 FD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have just changed from 105, 5700 to Ultegra 6700 bought off e-bay because I was having shifting issues and the 6800 on my best bike is very good. I assumed 6700 would be too. Wrong! I'll try this fix see if it works. However I thought I'd look at the old 5700 shifters and there doesn't seem to be the hex bolt mentioned in the vid

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Quick update, after riding with the Tiagra shifter for a few days I am no longer so sure that the lever was the sole problem. While shifting has improved significantly, it's still not quite perfect, and shifting into big ring still difficult when under load, but OK whilst descending. This leads me to believe the FD may have been at fault all along. Perhaps went on to damage the lever whilst I was tinkering in the garage. Finding that loose spring cannot bode well for the long term reliability of the shifter anyway, so it needed replacing.

Well, I've picked up a new 5700 FD and a used but mint ST-5700 left hand lever on ebay, I'll fit the FD first and determine whether it confirms my suspicions about the FD. Then to restore some coherence and order to the styling, the 5700 lever can go back on... Sadly this one was silver, the original black, so I'll still be slightly mismatched but not quite as bad as that hideous ST-4600 model. At £21 I don't think I'll bemoan an odd colour scheme... Then again, it's an excuse to attempt a custom paint job on the levers. How's about pearlescent shifter levers? :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom