Trouser clips.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Seeing a couple moving off with their bikes today and the manny dutifully donned a pair of trouser clips, it occurred to me as the purpose of these 'trad devices' is to keep the end of trousers out of the chain, why do folk use two when the chain is only on one side - ? Same with folk who tuck their trouser ends into their socks, often both sock are employed. The only reason that it was the use of cotter pins to secure cranks onto the BB axle. I can still vaguely recall back in the dim distant past of a nearside cotterpin grabbing my trouser bottom at an awkward moment. Anyone else verify this - ? :whistle:

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you were wearing flares, catching them on the cranks was a significant issue, iirc.
Look s a bit slovenly to only clip/sock the right trouser leg, imho.

Dan77

I use reflective bands. Us humans love a bot of symmetry anyway but the bands make you more visible. I think it's possibly the single best measure you can take to be seen as your legs are constantly moving. Only any use when you're wearing trousers though of course....it would look really daft on bare legs but for that reason I tend to wear hi-vis socks when out in the proper cycling gear.

tyred

Legendary Member
You definitely can catch your trousers on a cotter pin. In reality it should only happen if you've put them in the wrong way around but I didn't know there was a difference when I put my Rudge back together.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
When I commuted in trousers, I'd latterly wear two reflective bands after suffering a little near-miss in earlier days.. "drive side only" seems to make sense doesn't it, right up until your left trouser hem catches the left crank on an energetic down stroke and it throws your balance in heavy traffic!

It's all fun and games until you nearly end up under a London bus. Wear two clips, kids. That was my learning that day.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You definitely can catch your trousers on a cotter pin. In reality it should only happen if you've put them in the wrong way around but I didn't know there was a difference when I put my Rudge back together.
I got a trouser leg caught over a bottle cage once! That was totally unexpected and almost had me off.

I'm afraid that I just tuck my right trouser leg into my sock when I cycle to the shops. Even worse (*gasp*) I don't untuck it when I arrive. What a slob! :laugh:

roley poley

Über Member
have had the bow loop of my laces catch on a cotter pin nut... so tuck them in too ....once ripped my back pocket on the nose of the saddle on remount from traffic lights ..a bit off subject but could give you a giggle

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've had the left leg of loose fitting long trousers get caught in a downtube-mounted water bottle carrier more than once. Luckily I was only going at pootling pace, but it could have been nasty. Twisted the cage out of shape though, and had to be straightened up so the bottle wasn't sticking out of one side of the frame lopsided. I tend to ride in shorts when the weather allows by choice, but if Im wearing longs and they are a bit loose then I put a velcro strap around both leg bottoms. I know from experience how loose is too loose a fit. Most times I only have a strap on the right leg. Havent worn old school spring clips in years as they can ping off whereas velcro can't.

This should do the trick.
1619917493692.png

goldcoastjon

I use reflective bands. Us humans love a bot of symmetry anyway but the bands make you more visible. I think it's possibly the single best measure you can take to be seen as your legs are constantly moving. Only any use when you're wearing trousers though of course....it would look really daft on bare legs but for that reason I tend to wear hi-vis socks when out in the proper cycling gear.

AGREED! Here in the US, the drive (chain) side is away from the traffic to our left when we ride in the traffic lane closest to the curb (as a slower vehicle should). But drivers approaching from both sides and from the front can also fail to see us. Thus, I wear bright reflective Velcro-banded straps on both legs, even when wearing shorts (either cotton "civilian" shorts OR my lycra shorts, depending on the bike and the type of riding) and bright-colored socks.

Even bright colored socks cannot match the 3M-like reflective material on my leg bands, which, as previously noted, are moving as I pedal...

Top Bottom