Trousers in the wet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Water repellent over trousers if it's just drizzling, waterproofs if pouring down.
Eventually (around the 4/5 mile mark) you get soaked anyway, whatever you wear.
Nope. I'm waterproof above the knees for at least 12 miles of moderate rain, although it gets a bit warm if the weather is 10-15 degrees: that's too hot for light winter waterproof, but too cold for the summer one and it doesn't really work layering up under that.

BEHMOTH66

I use running leggings from Sports Direct £11 keep you warm and dries really quick

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My experience is that cycling trousers when wet cling to your legs and become exactly the same as wet lycra leggings. Overtrousers are fine if its cold but can quickly overheat. Shorts are best.

I tried spraying my cycling trousers with Fabsil. It made them stink. It made the house stink. When they got wet they got just as wet as before. Don't bother.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I double dare you...

A sail for cycling in head/cross winds; that could make life "interesting" :ohmy:.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I still have my cape. I cant remember when I last used it. I wished I'd taken it on the notorious"wetstable" FNRttC to Whitstable a couple of years ago.

Keith Oates

Janner
A few years ago I was in a place called Jiang Yin for a long time so I bought a 'pub bike' which was a single speed bike complete with a handle bar basket for the shopping. On days when it was really heavy rain I used to commute with a cape on a shorter and more direct route to work and found it very good. Better than a car or taxi. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On days when it was really heavy rain I used to commute with a cape on a shorter and more direct route to work and found it very good. Better than a car or taxi. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not really a high bar, that ;) How did you cope with the wind? Is it me, have capes got less aerodynamic than when I used one in the 1990s, or are the fens (where I am now) a hell of a lot windier than the midlands (where I was)?

Top Bottom