Trousers in the wet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dommo

Veteran
If you've got the option of a shower at the end, shorts every time. Oddly though, about two months ago a bicycle copper stationed at London Bridge during the morning commute announced at the red lights "any of you cyclists wearing shorts, make sure you're wearing trousers tomorrow." I ignored him and continued to wear my shorts and have never had my legs inspected by an officer so I suspect I made the right decision! ;)

tyred

Legendary Member
I think most of the cheap capes most people have tried are in fact rubbish. I have an old one that came with an old bike I bought (I'm told the cape dates from the early 70s, no idea really) but it is quite heavy and a quality item with straps to tie it around my back and wrists and everything and it is very good and very useable even in the wind as it doesn't flap around. You are still aware of it but not enough to cause problems if you ride at a typical commuter/touring pace.

Of course the snag is that by the time I've unwrapped it, worked out how to get into it and tied all the straps in place the shower has usually passed...

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I remember using a heavy oilskin cape and sou'wester (and the distinctive smell). It was a great day when the new plastic capes were introduced, and I soon got my hands on one, but my father continued to commute using a traditional oilskin until he retired in the 1980's. But would you wear a sou'wester over or under your helmet?

Top Bottom