TRP HYRD brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibor

Bewildered
Been given the go ahead (on a moderate budget) to put drop bars on my planet x London road. The TRP HYRD callipers are too of my shirt list for callipers compatible with road levers. Has anyone any advice experience if them or know of a blinding deal in them?

vickster

Legendary Member
@jowwy

For deals, try Google :smile:

mythste

Veteran
I use them. Great when they work. Prepare to forget everything you think you know about setting up brakes in order to get them to work! :laugh:

mythste

Veteran
Expand on this please. Why are they tough to set up?

Because they're cable pull the instinct is to increase the cable tension if they're not 100%. This, however, means that the hydraulic reservoir doesn't automatically adjust for wear, so you can be tightening the cables all day long and find the braking actually gets worse. There needs to be enough "release" on the piston for it to be able to self adjust.

Just seems counter intuitive dealing with cables - but it does work when you get the hang of it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ok but still awaiting to see if anyone has opinion on them
My experience.

Expand on this please. Why are they tough to set up?
Just make sure that you read and understand the instructions.

You need to make sure that the rotor is midway between the brake pads. You ensure that by applying the brake with the bolts holding the brake assembly loose enough for it to move into place. Tighten the bolts with the brake still applied.

The other thing to watch out for is that you do not do the obvious, which just happens to be wrong! I am sure this is what mythste refers to ... Ah, he has posted that while I have been typing!

You should tighten the cable only just enough to take up the slack. Do NOT tighten it to adjust the brake action. There is a screw-in pin on the calliper which you can use to check that you have not overtightened the cable. The pin should screw in without any problem. Make sure you release it after checking.

It takes a big pull on the lever to get full braking, but I CAN lock the front wheel on a descent without the lever going all the way to the bars. I would prefer to use a bit less lever travel, but at least the brake works properly, unlike the one it replaced.

Last edited:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
They are good, but obviously not as good as a full hydraulic system.

Really easy to set up initially, provided you take on board what mythste says above.
Once set, they didn't need much adjusting.

I've put TRP HyRDs on they are really very good when set-up properly; vastly better than cable discs for stopping power and modulation and much better modulation than the V's on my MTB.

I _think_ that cable choice is important to make set-up easy - I was using cables which were a couple of years old when I first fitted them and could not get them to return to the 'open' position on the rear brake; I switched to brand new Jagwire Road Pro XL cables and they were perfect...

Top Bottom