Truck drivers forum perspective of cyclist fatality.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
On construction sites where site staff are all responsible adults and generally fit and able they have to go through rigorous training and safety awareness courses, but still potentially dangerous equipment is guarded so that even when a site employee does something daft, he/she is protected.
Why should we not take steps to guard potentially dangerous equipment (lorries)operating in public areas(roads) shared by people of all ages with a wide range of mental and physical capabilities?

It would appear that the lorry in question was fully CrossRail approved, with all the required guards, mirrors etc. the driver would have been fully trained.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
All the warning devices known to man are of no use if the driver of a large vehicle simply isn't concentrating, or doesn't care what happens.

Should that stop us from implementing features that will alert drivers to a hazard? Lapses in concentration can affect any driver, even the good ones, and I don't see it as a bad thing to have a device that warns them of something they might otherwise have missed.

GC

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I haven't said that. I was countering all the posts from people who drive lorries, or their relatives, saying (in some cases SHOUTING) 'Don't cycle up the inside of lorries' as if that alone would cure this problem.

A driver of an HGV who has a 'lapse of concentration' is in danger of crushing someone and killing them - the one in that clip didn't even see a car on a clear day. A cyclist who has a lapse of concentration is generally in danger of killing no one but themselves. When a cyclist is killed, some people like to talk about 'stupid people doing stupid things'. When a lorry driver kills a cyclist, people like to talk about 'a lapse of concentration'. The imbalance is not only in terms of damage inflicted, but also in terms of where we lay the blame, and it horrifies me.

Apologies for misunderstanding your statement, thanks for clarifying.

GC

Top Bottom