Truck hazard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Mod message I've deleted some posts because they had descended into a personal argument.
Please everyone remember to stick to what is said in the posts, and not attack the posters.

classic33

Leg End Member
The sign is there for all following traffic.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
2773818 said:
Has anyone sat behind one, utilising any form of transport it matters not, and wondered whether there should be some element of apology?
Why should there be an apology?
It is explaining basic physics...

Or would you be expecting an apology along the lines of "I'm sorry that I have blind spots, but to fit enough mirrors and CCTV cameras to ensure all round vision would cost a lot of money and this would put our expenses up and put us out of business as unless all trucks are required to do this by law we would then be uncompetitive." ??

theclaud

Openly Marxist

Or would you be expecting an apology along the lines of "I'm sorry that I have blind spots, but to fit enough mirrors and CCTV cameras to ensure all round vision would cost a lot of money and this would put our expenses up and put us out of business as unless all trucks are required to do this by law we would then be uncompetitive." ??

I think if I were attempting to manoeuvre something through a public space, which presented an extraordinary danger to others, and was demanding that they keep their distance on pain of death, I might manage to adopt a slightly apologetic tone...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Have you not read what one of their Directors had to say about cycling and cyclists?
http://road.cc/content/news/49463-i...sts-article-cyclists-road-haulage-association
The guy is obviously anti cyclist and has some really weak arguments, but there are some wortwhile points.

Cyclists should have their lights on at all times. I do on my Koga. It has a dynamo and so it is no skin off my nose. It would also stop those cyclists from forgetting to fit them in Autumn. All other vehicles in Denmark have to have their lights on at all times, why not bikes.

Dont use i pods when riding. Thats a no brainer.

All cyclists should have accident insurance. Why not I have theft insurance.

All cyclists should pay road tax. Change it to the Danish system where we pay a weight tax instead. The heavier the vehicle, the more you pay. Can you tax a 5 year old? Charge all cyclists £5 a year and the money goes into a cycle fund to improve the life of cyclists. No idea how to enforce it but its a nice idea.

Steve

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The guy is obviously anti cyclist and has some really weak arguments, but there are some wortwhile points.

Cyclists should have their lights on at all times. I do on my Koga. It has a dynamo and so it is no skin off my nose. It would also stop those cyclists from forgetting to fit them in Autumn. All other vehicles in Denmark have to have their lights on at all times, why not bikes.

Dont use i pods when riding. Thats a no brainer.

All cyclists should have accident insurance. Why not I have theft insurance.

All cyclists should pay road tax. Change it to the Danish system where we pay a weight tax instead. The heavier the vehicle, the more you pay. Can you tax a 5 year old? Charge all cyclists £5 a year and the money goes into a cycle fund to improve the life of cyclists. No idea how to enforce it but its a nice idea.

Steve

I'll drop Mr Flanders a line and let him know that he's wasting his time with his anti-cyclist rants. It seems enough of us are prepared to do his work for him.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
My point was that trucking firms who 'do their duty' and fit such technology would put themselves at a bit of a competitive disadvantage, so it should really be made a legal requirement.
TfL's proposal is to levy charges on trucks that are not fully compliant, and thereby erode the competitive advantage of using unsafe vehicles on the road.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 2773964, member: 9609"]May be construction sites should be forced to provide better off-road surfaces, then the authorities could demand all tippers to be fitted with under-run side protection. Or may be simpler, as a condition of planning permission, developers must agree to use tippers of a certain specification.[/quote]
Indeed the better on site road surfaces is already happening in practice. And as a construction lorry spends 99%* of its time on public roads, there is clearly a need for the exemptions to be removed.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Good post - but I don't get the point below? Willful RLJing is not IMO excusable or understandable, rider comes up to light that is solidly red and either sails through, or goes through and track stands in the middle of the road proceeding once there are no vehicles or so the cyclist thinks. I am not talking about the light that turns red while crossing the junction or turns amber / red and unable to safely stop due to speed / weather / traffic behind etc

I am astonished by the number of cyclists who appear to be red-green colour blind, men and especially women who are much less likely to be so genetically :whistle:
i don't agree with it, i can just understand why. Ideally a seperate light in the sequence of lights for cyclists to give them a head start at junctions could cut out the need for this.

RT2

The problem is that you can fit as many mirrors as you like and fill the cab with cctv screeens linked to a camera at the back of the truck, but the driver still only has one pair of eyes. Mirrors can create blind spots too: the driver can't see through them and - while I make a point of looking around my mirrors at roundabouts and junctions - it's very easy to lose a car behind them, never mind a bike. My lorry has six mirrors, and I have a good idea of what is around me at all times, but occasionally when I was doing city centre deliveries during the day I'd be surprised to spot a cyclist wobbling up the left hand side of my trailer, between the trailer and a pedestrian fence, while I sat at traffic lights indicating left.
And this brings me on to my second point, which is that increasingly bike lanes seem to be designed to put cyclists in dangerous positions. Has anyone else seen the videos of the Bow roundabout "facilities"? Terrible: experienced cyclists seem to avoid using them completely and go with the flow of "hard" traffic (which is what I'd do), but I can understand how someone with less experience would feel they were in the cycle lane and therefore safe. Boris and the TfL seem to be in denial about the role their ill - thought - out cycle superhighway might have played in the latest round of tragedies, but I'd have said a positive first step would be to completely redesign them, or better still do away with them altogether and encourage cyclists to use the road. Although I recognise that an awful lot of less confident cyclists wouldn't be happy with this, it can't be much more offputting than constantly reading about the outcome of cyclist vs. eight wheel tipper.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Has anyone else seen the videos of the Bow roundabout "facilities"? Terrible: experienced cyclists seem to avoid using them completely and go with the flow of "hard" traffic (which is what I'd do), but I can understand how someone with less experience would feel they were in the cycle lane and therefore safe. Boris and the TfL seem to be in denial about the role their ill - thought - out cycle superhighway might have played in the latest round of tragedies, but I'd have said a positive first step would be to completely redesign them, or better still do away with them altogether and encourage cyclists to use the road. Although I recognise that an awful lot of less confident cyclists wouldn't be happy with this, it can't be much more offputting than constantly reading about the outcome of cyclist vs. eight wheel tipper.

I cycle through Bow roundabout every day, it is still a whole load of crap going west to east, mainly the lead up to it, with the McD's and the whole load of Bus Stops before it where traffic can get snarled up. It usually means I end up going over the Bow Flyover rather than using the cycling farcility there, but then you have the downhill bit of the Flyover, where cars don't look properly for bikes when joining the main road, even though they are supposed to give way for me coming down the Flyover... the segregation can also be a bit confusing to join if you are coming down the Flyover for both bikes and cars, but there is a way to get into it a little further up the road.

East to west is a bit better with the semi-segregated cycle lane and the ASZ style traffic lights, so I don't really find the need to go over the Flyover anymore.
I do have to be careful that some vehicles don't think I am going to stay in the cycle lane to meander around the last bus stop when there is no bus there, as the cycle lane shoots you out onto the main road it can be better to keep going in a straight line rather than going around the bus stop... There is also the fact that I am not going to join the cycle lane if the main lights are in my favour rather than the "cycle lane" lights... so again I have to be rather careful...

There are some good parts to the cycle superhighways (bits of the CS8 and CS3 are ok) and then there are some terrible bits where TFL have compromised far too much...

The one I dislike the most is the CS2, too much of it is a guideway, and not a proper cycle lane/path.
So both cars and cycles are trying to occupy the same space in the same lane at the same time... The worst thing I find along the Mile End road part of it is car drivers who want to undertake other cars... You have to take a strong position along the CS2 to make sure you are visible on this wide and fast road.

There are places where I would prefer to see that blue paint removed all together... and there are places where they could easily paint in white solid lines along the cycle guideway to make it a proper cycle lane...

There are also cycle lanes near where I live which I would like to see removed as they are unsafe or just used as car parking...
Sometimes I do wonder if the only reason the Councils put in cycle lanes is so that they can get money to create additional car parking space but instead suggest they built have a cycle lane and so are able to tick a box... Far too many times do I have to pull out of cycle lanes because of parked cars or even double parked cars... especially in Leytonstone... and when they do put in the cycle lane, of course, they run it along the inside of car door zones... idiots!
Why do I have to take the abuse for their poor design decisions or their ignorance when creating this sort of "infrastructure"..! :cursing:

classic33

Leg End Member
This
Would anyone be willing to come into the lions den and give the view from the industry side of things?
Details here.
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/truck-hazard.143632/
Thread started by a driver, who tried to put the drivers viewpoint across but I believe some of the replies may have put him/her of coming back.
This in relation to the recent number of cyclists killed in London over the last two weeks. Maybe a response from those in the industry will enable a better understanding of the problem, on all sides. Be warned though there are some who seek nothing more than throw such threads off-topic.

Got this, from the FTA
Many thanks for your message giving us the opportunity to give the industry's view on the Cycle Chat cycling forum - but unfortunately we find that forums do not tend to be the best places to discuss such sensitive issues. We will, however, be sending out messages this week in support of Brake's Road Safety Week.
Kind regards,

Top Bottom