Truing Back Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Doing a bit of maintainance on my Dawes Galaxy last night cleaning rear mech and cassette. I've noticed that the back wheel is running about 1mm out of true the spokes seem to have a bit of movement too.

Is it worth taking to the bike shop to have it sorted out it will it make little diffrence by leaving it like it is? Any idea of costs in gettting it sorted?

OP
OP
roundisland
Doing a bit of maintainance on my Dawes Galaxy last night cleaning rear mech and cassette. I've noticed that the back wheel is running about 1mm out of true the spokes seem to have a bit of movement too.

Is it worth taking to the bike shop to have it sorted out it will it make little diffrence by leaving it like it is? Any idea of costs in gettting it sorted?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
1mm is minor, unless it's due to other damage or problems.

roundisland said:
... the spokes seem to have a bit of movement too...

Not sure what you mean by this.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
1mm is minor, unless it's due to other damage or problems.

roundisland said:
... the spokes seem to have a bit of movement too...

Not sure what you mean by this.

PpPete

Legendary Member
You might be lucky and find one of the rare LBS that only charges a fiver for truing - most are significantly more.

For that fiver you can buy a decent spoke key, and learn how to do it yourself. Here.

TBH 1mm out of true is no big deal in itself - but if any spokes are loose then it will get worse and then you will start to break a few spokes, and then an LBS repair could get expensive.

PpPete

Legendary Member
You might be lucky and find one of the rare LBS that only charges a fiver for truing - most are significantly more.

For that fiver you can buy a decent spoke key, and learn how to do it yourself. Here.

TBH 1mm out of true is no big deal in itself - but if any spokes are loose then it will get worse and then you will start to break a few spokes, and then an LBS repair could get expensive.

OP
OP
roundisland
Many thanks was qouted £15 to true it up.... might just leave it for a while and see what happens.

how much flex should there be in the rear spokes? I wll be loading the bike up quite a bit this summer for touring does that make an diffrence to the tention?

OP
OP
roundisland
Many thanks was qouted £15 to true it up.... might just leave it for a while and see what happens.

how much flex should there be in the rear spokes? I wll be loading the bike up quite a bit this summer for touring does that make an diffrence to the tention?

roundisland said:

The spokes should only move slightly if you apply firm pressure. Best bet is to give them a pluck like a harp string and make sure they all sound roughly the same note.

roundisland said:

The spokes should only move slightly if you apply firm pressure. Best bet is to give them a pluck like a harp string and make sure they all sound roughly the same note.

roundisland said:

Top Bottom