truing carbon rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
After over a year of hard work, my rear 50mm carbon rim has developed the slightest of wobbles....its tiny but it is there.

Is trueing carbon exactly the same as any other material, or do I need to cast some special spell or repeat some sort of incantation.

I thought it best to ask first before setting at it with a spoke spanner.

Truing carbon wheels is no different from trying aluminium or steel wheels. However, carbon rims cause more spoke tension variation than aluminium rims because the material is less uniform. Thus, don't attempt to true them by listening to spoke tone or using a tensiometer. Simply true - as allw heels should be trued - by looking at run-out.

Before you start, find the spoke that has lost tension and carefully examine the spoke hole for cracks. Spokes don't just lose tension, there's a reason for that and with carbon rims it is usually a crack. Obviously on poorly tensioned wheels some spokes can come loose by themselves, but always be suspicious.

ON a 50mm wheel it is unlikely that the wobble will be local to one spoke only and will typically span 3 or 5 or any other uneven number multiple. Find the epicenter of the wobble but also work on the adjacent spokes to the central one. A 50mm piece of carbon rim is one stiff beam and one spoke is not man enough for keeping it in line.

Edit: Stiff beam, not still beam.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Truing carbon wheels is no different from trying aluminium or steel wheels. However, carbon rims cause more spoke tension variation than aluminium rims because the material is less uniform. Thus, don't attempt to true them by listening to spoke tone or using a tensiometer. Simply true - as allw heels should be trued - by looking at run-out.

Before you start, find the spoke that has lost tension and carefully examine the spoke hole for cracks. Spokes don't just lose tension, there's a reason for that and with carbon rims it is usually a crack. Obviously on poorly tensioned wheels some spokes can come loose by themselves, but always be suspicious.

ON a 50mm wheel it is unlikely that the wobble will be local to one spoke only and will typically span 3 or 5 or any other uneven number multiple. Find the epicenter of the wobble but also work on the adjacent spokes to the central one. A 50mm piece of carbon rim is one still beam and one spoke is not man enough for keeping it in line.
Thanks.

I whipped the tyre off and found that the rim is as true as the day I bought it. Unfortunately my brake block had been touching the edge of the tyre and caused a wear, which had bulged out a tiny bit . Stupid mistake that has cost me a tyre, but I am glad I found out today and not whilst braking down some steep hill.

Cant work out how the block got that high, I am pretty careful about brake adjustment...odd

U

User6179

Cant work out how the block got that high, I am pretty careful about brake adjustment...odd

Do you use different wheels on the bike , amazing the difference in sizes on supposedly same size wheels .

Top Bottom