Truing road wheels - risk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
If you are going for new wheels I can heartily recomend the Open Pro rims.
Why not have a go at building them yourself?

If I can learn to do it - anyone can.
Wheelpro is good starting point.
Although he does imply that:
(True + even tension = strong/stays true) rather than pick 2 out of 3.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yeah I was checking out the Open Pro rims online on Sunday. The guy at BC reckons it would be about 175 quid though for just a rear handbuilt 36 spoke open pro with a campag hub :biggrin:

I have thought about building my own wheels but I am not very patient. Would be happy to spend a couple of hundred quid on a set of hand built wheels and some place I found on Sunday would have worked out about 180 for a hand built set.

How much you think it would cost in parts if I built them myself - maybe 100?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I got a wheelset from these boys SD www.questbikes.co.uk - you'd have to travel up north (London) though.

I got their own brand Quest Scafell - they were set up for Shimano but I really wanted them for a Campag cassette so the guy took them into the workshop, then and there, and changed them for me. 1500g set of wheels for £150 - nice too.

Good shop, good service - nice people!!

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
threebikesmcginty said:
I got a wheelset from these boys SD www.questbikes.co.uk - you'd have to travel up north (London) though.

I got their own brand Quest Scafell - they were set up for Shimano but I really wanted them for a Campag cassette so the guy took them into the workshop, then and there, and changed them for me. 1500g set of wheels for £150 - nice too.

Good shop, good service - nice people!!

Nice - how long ago was this 3BmCG? I was thinking about a set of Eastons but need to wait a couple of weeks first due to finances.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Sittingduck said:
Nice - how long ago was this 3BmCG? I was thinking about a set of Eastons but need to wait a couple of weeks first due to finances.

Erm - prob 3 months maybe - they were on offer £200 down to £150.

They had them in black or silver - I got some silver ones. Posted a pick of them in the photo gallery section if you ever stray over that way.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Didn't see them on the wheels page of the site but they do have a lot of wheels there!

Saw the pic in the gallery - nice choice of saddle, I have a Charge Spoon myself :biggrin:

Crankarm

Guru
Sittingduck said:
...... Did a bit of research and quite like the look of the Mavic Open Pro rims. Can anybody suggest a place I can get a set of these puppies hand built with maybe 32 spokes on the front and 36 on the rear - must be Campag compatible :becool:

Go for the Open Pro CDs - harder finish than the std Open Pros but not as pricey as the ceramics.

As for place - Monty at Condor, where else?

After getting hit/ potholed all at once I had to true my mavic askium's about 9 months back I've never had a problem with the job. I hopefully won't have to do it to the Quasar wheels on my other road bike and i certainly wont be attempting to do it to my Campag Khasim wheels.
campag%20khasim%20wheels%20new.jpg

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Update: Just ordered these for 170 - reduced by 100 quid:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11624

:smile:

Top Bottom