Truvativ crankset. Made of cheese?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Riding the new bike the other day, blatted it over some speed humps and next thing I know the pedal's hanging off at a funny angle. The whole thing's come out and stripped the thread on the crankarm. So I had to ride a heavy cargo bike with a four year old on the back home up a pretty steep Sheffield hill with just one leg.

Obviously it's going back to the shop but I just wondered if anyone else had had similar issues with Truvativ cranksets. Of course the pedal could have been cross threaded on installation but I don't think it was.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Riding the new bike the other day, blatted it over some speed humps and next thing I know the pedal's hanging off at a funny angle. The whole thing's come out and stripped the thread on the crankarm. So I had to ride a heavy cargo bike with a four year old on the back home up a pretty steep Sheffield hill with just one leg.

Obviously it's going back to the shop but I just wondered if anyone else had had similar issues with Truvativ cranksets. Of course the pedal could have been cross threaded on installation but I don't think it was.
Nah, I've got a couple and they're fine, had the pedal had a knock?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'd have thought that the pedal must have loosened and wound itself out prior to actually coming off. Unless it had previously been tightened enough to strip the threads.

I'd have thought that the pedal must have loosened and wound itself out prior to actually coming off. Unless it had previously been tightened enough to strip the threads.
Precession is the reason they're not both standard right hand threaded. They can't unscrew themselves.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
It looks like that may have been the case. Threads are stripped about halfway. So pedal comes loose, then my weight as I go over the speed hump is enough to force it sideways and strip the crank.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Precession is the reason they're not both standard right hand threaded. They can't unscrew themselves.
I did wonder about that but I don't recall it being loose the first couple of times I rode it. Unless I wasn't paying enough attention.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Isn't the movement of the RH pedal anticlockwise relative to the crank? So if the pedal axle is at all stiff, wouldn't that apply an anticlockwise force to it, thus unscrewing the conventional right handed thread?

si_c

Guru
Truvativ are owned by SRAM and their stuff is pretty solid, same as with the low end Shimano stuff, perfectly serviceable just a little heavier than more expensive components.

Most likely it's either a poorly installed pedal or it's taken a hard knock at some point. Of course it could be a manufacturing error, but that's what warranties are for.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Truvativ are owned by SRAM and their stuff is pretty solid, same as with the low end Shimano stuff, perfectly serviceable just a little heavier than more expensive components.

Most likely it's either a poorly installed pedal or it's taken a hard knock at some point. Of course it could be a manufacturing error, but that's what warranties are for.
Aah rrh, ehh ..........My Truvativ cranks certainly weren't cheap and at least all the rings are aluminium and removable/replaceable unlike cheap Shimano (S)crap.
It looks like that may have been the case. Threads are stripped about halfway. So pedal comes loose, then my weight as I go over the speed hump is enough to force it sideways and strip the crank.

And there's your answer, someone had 'fecked uo' fitting the pedal, it may have been OK but in your case it wasn't.

Top Bottom