Try Going Car Free

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
It's becoming a theme.

It is only "becoming a theme" because people keep posting things which belong in "the other place".

We have somewhere for those who want to talk politics or current affairs, and this isn't it.

As far as I can see, this thread doesn't breach that though, so I see no reason this one would be closed unless it wanders a fair amount from what is being discussed so far.

Last edited:
Sadly people are lazy. And I guess because they have spent so much on their cars they want to make use of them.
I'd much rather walk to the shop for errands.
As the Wombles said - 'Exercise is good for you - laziness is not'.

Wise words.

Gwylan

Veteran
For anyone in Oxford willing to try going car-free for three weeks, there's £150 on offer, along with paid travel expenses, free cycle training, and free use of a cargo bike.
https://www.wearepossible.org/actions-blog/going-car-free-in-oxford

You have to be willing to provide feedback, and agree to publicity.

I am car free, have been for 7 years.

My E-Bike got knicked in Oxford! Nobody gave a toss. I got a case number and a fight with the insurance company.
Seems it was my fault for having a bike.
They will be ice skating in hell before I go to Oxford again.

All uphill

Still rolling along
It's a terrible idea from every single perspective:

The driver (lack of exercise and cost)

Those in the vicinity (congestion, air pollution from gaseous and particulate combustion products, air pollution from particulates eminating from brakes and clutches, increased risk of accident through both increased moving traffic and the hazards it presents when stationary).

The wider envionment (pollution above, increased use of finite resources)

The vehicle (increased engine wear from repeated cold starts, increased wear on drivetrain, braking and suspension components, increased wear on interior and contact points from from getting in and out six times for every mile covered).

In addition cars (particularly petrol vehicles) are very inefficient when operating at below optimum temperatures and in stop-start traffic, killing fuel economy and massively increasing pollutants per unit distance travelled.

It's stuff like this that utterly destroys my faith in humanity, certainly in the UK. We have all these fantastic machines of empowerment and convenience yet refuse to use them responsibly / sparingly / only within circumstances where other modes of transport are not more appropriate.

In the minority we're clever enough to develop these items, but en-masse seem to be unable to apply any intelligence to their use - this being wholly eclipsed by lazyness and arrogance it seems :sad:

I agree with your reasons to walk and cycle, @wafter but I am more sympathetic to people who drive everywhere.

Driving is the norm in our society, it is advertised, subsidised and dominates. Parents support their children to pass the test as a rite of passage and then give them a car. You can drive in your fashion wear without getting wet or cold.

Making the move to walking or cycling takes sustained effort at first, that's why advocacy and incentives are needed imo rather than criticism.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I am car free, have been for 7 years.

My E-Bike got knicked in Oxford! Nobody gave a toss. I got a case number and a fight with the insurance company.
Bob Dylan shares the same sentiment: 😁

🎶Oxford Town, Oxford Town
Everybody's got their heads bowed down
Sun don't shine above the ground
Ain't a-going down to Oxford Town🎶

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Bit of a gimmick this initiative I think, yes you will get people doing it for the £150, but in the real world it will be too much of a leap for a car driver of many years. Too much of a shock to the system.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
To be fair I don't think Police underfunding / apathy and general contempt for cyclists are isolated to Oxford..

I agree with your reasons to walk and cycle, @wafter but I am more sympathetic to people who drive everywhere.

Driving is the norm in our society, it is advertised, subsidised and dominates. Parents support their children to pass the test as a rite of passage and then give them a car. You can drive in your fashion wear without getting wet or cold.

Making the move to walking or cycling takes sustained effort at first, that's why advocacy and incentives are needed imo rather than criticism.
I agree to a point, although it's disappointing to see how unthinking, blinkered and selfish most people are.. although they can I guess be forgiven to an extent since for decades they've had critical thinking and any sense of personal responsibility or social solidarity squeezed out of them; to be replaced with the false idols of individualism and consumption.

Advocacy is all well and good, however it will never really achieve anything while cars and their associated consumption continue to account for such a large part of the economy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
I've come back here for a rest from arguing with the right wing Neocons on Twitter.

I'm being told that cars aren't really subsidised because I haven't taken account of the contribution drivers make to the economy. Strange how we never hear how trains aren't really subsidised on the grounds that the passengers contribute to the economy. "You need to look at the big picture". Just as long as it's a picture of cars.

"The government has no right to tell me what to do" until they're telling him to pay tax for schools to educate his kids.

While my fitness isn't up to it, I could potentially cycle the entire 25 mile journey in a comparable time to that required on the bus.
If I didn't need the Essex Cardiothoracic Centre I could almost cycle there in the same time as it takes to go by train: two hours and four different trains to do the 29 miles from Braintree to Basildon.

At least when they built our out-of-town shopping mall ~24 years ago they put it next to the railway, and opened a new station for it.
this thread doesn't breach that though
Why not? It's politics and current affairs.

Bit of a gimmick this initiative I think, yes you will get people doing it for the £150
There are only 12 places available, I think they they're looking for individuals who they can use for publicity, but I dare say they'll be easy to dismiss as an eccentric minority.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Bit of a gimmick this initiative I think, yes you will get people doing it for the £150, but in the real world it will be too much of a leap for a car driver of many years. Too much of a shock to the system.

Advocacy is all well and good, however it will never really achieve anything while cars and their associated consumption continue to account for such a large part of the economy.

I'm an optimistic person who lives in a town where around 10% of local journeys are made on a bicycle.

We have a cycling campaign group.
We have a social cycling group.
We have a bicycle recycling charity.

All, imo, achieved through years of persistent effort by some amazing people.

If you drive a car here you will have to get used to cyclists.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Why don't you sign up Wafter and say that you don't have a bike etc, then you will get the £150 and you can get some bits for your own bikes with this? Its worth it for nothing I think.

Top Bottom