TT bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just been for a blast up the road with it and my thighs are just about touching my stomach in the position .

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Just been for a blast up the road with it and my thighs are just about touching my stomach in the position .

Unfortunately that's what you will get putting bars on a road bike, the geometry is not conducive to the TT position. What you will notice on TT bikes is that the seat is over the bottom bracket whereas on a road bike it's slightly behind. This moving forward of the seat has the effect of opening up the hip angle so that you don't get the effect you have noticed (knee's on chest). On the road bike you can try to move the seat all the way forward and move the bars all the way out so you are racked out, it won't be perfect, but it should help.

One point though is to mark up the seat position as it currently is for roadie use, so that you know where to put it back to afterwards.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
That's easy enough to remember as its set on 0 . I shall have a play with the seat position a little later .
I have the feeling I am going to be in a lot more pain after riding the bike with these new settings :eek:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ok the saddle is forward to the max and so are the bars , I have also derobed a little :shy:
It is interesting looking at the pictures to see the positions . I feel like I am almost eating the bars but im no where near them .
I will try the saddle up a little more but as I am balancing on the bike with two wheel stands im not sure the picture shows my leg is close to locking out .

013_zpsdbd66d02.jpg

014_zps77d8a685.jpg

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Closer, but ideally your elbows should be a right angle otherwise you will put excess pressure on your upper back. It's going to be a balancing act, but in the end don't sacrifice comfort for position, if it's painful don't ride it, you'll just end up injured.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
If I put the bars back to almost like I am riding on the hoods that will bring them in line but my elbows wont be near the pads as said above .
Thanks for all the help BTW . Very kind of you all !

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Typical ! I get my legs out and the bitching starts right away :laugh:
The knee issue seems to have gone away but youre right there is an old injury there . I think it may have been my cleat position on the Defy or maybe not resting it as it always kicked in @ 30 miles . After two months of not doing anything near 30 miles in one go and changing the cleat position I am able to go past the 30 mile mark without even a niggle .
I guess when you know there is an issue you need to be aware of anything near it gets blamed on it .

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive tilted the bars up and shifted as much as is comfortable forward on the saddle . Im still balancing on the bike so its all a bit wobbly , a ride should let me know more .

001_zps664e4e6f.jpg

The bars look odd pointing up so high .

Top Bottom