TT Power - well down on turbo efforts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member

542825 542827
Hi everyone. Just wondering if somebody could give me some advice. Been doing the local 10 mile TT recently. Am better than in previous years but still well down on what I can do on the turbo. I used different sensors for measuring power indoors and out - Stages Power Meter on the road, Taxc Turbo (Flow) indoors - but from reading other posts, the general consensus is that one normally produces more power on the road: Looking at my power curve this is clearly not the case (last 6 weeks average is mostly made up of 10s done on the turbo). Is this due to the rolling nature of the course, or more likely due to vast differences in accuracy between turbo and Stages for measuring? As an aside, during the TT itself and my power fluctuates wildly - again is this due to the rolling nature of the course? My overall effort is 106% - which is roughly in the 105 -110% recommended figures for effort over 10 miles I believe.

si_c

Guru
Are you using the same bike for the indoor/outdoor efforts - judging from the use of different power meters my guess is probably not. If that's the case and your turbo bike is a road bike and you use a TT bike outdoors then that likely accounts for the different power outputs - position on a TT bike means it's harder to put out so many watts unless you train for that.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Are you using the same bike for the indoor/outdoor efforts - judging from the use of different power meters my guess is probably not. If that's the case and your turbo bike is a road bike and you use a TT bike outdoors then that likely accounts for the different power outputs - position on a TT bike means it's harder to put out so many watts unless you train for that.
Actually I do use the same bike, I just turn off the crank power meter when on the turbo and use the turbo's power meter instead. I wonder if it's the rolling nature of the course vs the pan flat effect of the turbo that's tripping me up?

I wouldn't worry lots of folk, including myself, can get more out on the turbo with regular forces/intervals to encounter and the ability to switch off safely to the elements. FWIW, my eFTP at the moment is 4.70w/kg on the turbo and 4.22w/kg on road. The values have been closer in the past but I just can't push myself psychologically outside to the same degree. Probably because I spent so long limiting myself during chemo. But my indoors power has always been more than outside 👍

Sharky

Guru
Never had the data or the technology when I was an aspiring TT rider, but I always had a theory that on the days you get the PB's or SB's, you never fully achieve the best power output. Many times, I've beaten my PB or Season's best on a really good night by a large margin and thought to myself that I rode well. But the next week on a really bad night, I would turn out a ride only a few seconds slower then my best, but a lot quicker than all the other rides that season. I must have tried a lot harder on the bad night than on the day I did a PB/SB.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Just out of curiosity was your time 26.54 on the road?
Is that my quote, don't recall typing all that?
Nope, only part of yours. I'm walking my dog in the wind so am blaming that!😂 But, to answer the question, it was on the road but was officially 26:41.

midlife

Guru
Thanks, I was just confused by the graphs and data lol. :smile:

Back when I was doing 10's it was just a bloke with a stopwatch and a board where your time was written :smile: :okay:

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Never had the data or the technology when I was an aspiring TT rider, but I always had a theory that on the days you get the PB's or SB's, you never fully achieve the best power output. Many times, I've beaten my PB or Season's best on a really good night by a large margin and thought to myself that I rode well. But the next week on a really bad night, I would turn out a ride only a few seconds slower then my best, but a lot quicker than all the other rides that season. I must have tried a lot harder on the bad night than on the day I did a PB/SB.
I normally just blame the wind. Actually I did 60 miles only two days before the TT - nothing strenuous, mostly Zone 2 - but possibly might not have helped.

viniga

Guru
Can you use the crank power meter inside - just to check what the difference is?

My turbo gives a 10% ish higher reading that my pedals, I always use my pedals now indoors and out to measure the power.

One other aspect is position, are you in your TT position in the turbo, for some (or most) you can't get the same power output when going all aero and narrow.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The Tacx Flow is susceptible to all sorts of errors and dodgy calibration, if you have a Stages then you are crazy to use the Flow for power, switch to your Stages. As well as being more accurate you will be consistent when you are indoors and out.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
The Tacx Flow is susceptible to all sorts of errors and dodgy calibration, if you have a Stages then you are crazy to use the Flow for power, switch to your Stages. As well as being more accurate you will be consistent when you are indoors and out.
Good idea
Can you use the crank power meter inside - just to check what the difference is?

My turbo gives a 10% ish higher reading that my pedals, I always use my pedals now indoors and out to measure the power.

One other aspect is position, are you in your TT position in the turbo, for some (or most) you can't get the same power output when going all aero and narrow.
Good idea! See below.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Good idea. Tomorrow morning I'll switch to the Stages....and prepare for a big dip in watts! 😂

Top Bottom