TT Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It does take a few seasons to really get going.

I won't offer any specific training advice other than mix things up a bit, otherwise it can get a bit dull. If there are one or two local club 10s that run during the season (evening 10s generally run from late April to August) then riding these regularly helps, particularly with working out pacing strategies etc. and you can keep an eye on your improvements- which should come regularly for the first few years at least.

lukesdad

A 10 sounds good to me. The problem most people find with a TT is the sustained effort required Hr power speed call it what you like and unless your on the rivet allday every day,leisure cycling is just not intense enough to condition your body lungs and heart for a TT.

I d look at throwing in a couple of 30-45 min running sessions even at a slow pace include a couple of short hills if you can,unless of course you have a climb to ride for the same amount of time with some steep ramps. This will give you some idea of what your in for.

You ll be sub 24 before you know it.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Some useful info on here re TT training - later on in the training it would be worth looking at maybe doing single leg work (rest your other leg on a stool when training on a turbo) to build up strength and muscle. Along with training for high cadence it would be worth ironing out any inefficiency in your pedal -ie push and pull -It's described really well in the triathlon training book specifically on cycling.

Also don't forget to get a weekly long ride in for maintenance reasons

Good luck Noodley!

nmcgann

Veteran
lukesdad said:
A 10 sounds good to me. The problem most people find with a TT is the sustained effort required Hr power speed call it what you like and unless your on the rivet allday every day,leisure cycling is just not intense enough to condition your body lungs and heart for a TT.

That's quite right, it's hard to maintain a constant output at your limits unless you have trained for it. Normal club riding or leisure riding are nothing like TTs, they are much peakier in terms of power output and there's lots of opportunity to rest.

Will1985

Über Member
I'm taking part in a study on the effects of double v single leg training at the moment. The findings should be known in about 6 weeks. The problem with single leg training at home is that there is nothing counteracting the force on the unclipped pedal - a weight to create some inertial mass makes it far more realistic and beneficial IME. The closest DIY solution would be to use a fixed wheel on the turbo.
I'm currently doing 5 min intervals at 85% FTP which is bearable although 4 minutes would be much nicer ;)

I haven't really done my TT specific training this year - most of my training rides are at a high cadence and include a few balls out 5 mile stretches. Not riding fast courses hasn't helped with super fast times, but consistent placings in top 3 among 21 minute men suggests that it isn't all bad.
Long average pace (~34km/h) rides in the TT position were useful for my 25s and 50, but after the 50 I think there is a lot to be said for some upper body conditioning.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
One thing that can be said for individual leg training is it does break up the turbo sessions a bit and adds some interest. Whether it makes me faster I've no idea.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I spend too much time enjoying myself on a bike to go really seriously training. Which is why I'll never be a top TTer - that and age. But I like riding the occasional TT, just for a change.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I said I wouldn't make any suggestions regarding training. But I will.

I like riding, don't like training too much. I do do a few weeks of interval work before the season- just one or two sessions a week, after that I just TT regularly and do one short (20-30 mile) ride a week at a fair old pace, taking in a hill or two.

One observation: each year my club does a trip to the alps, they ride a few hills. They're only there for a week- and there's the traveling, and catching a stage of the tour, so I doubt they get more than four days on the bike. When they come back those guys are flying, and I doubt they think of it as training either.

Something I do. You go for a long steady ride, sort of ride you'll be doing anyway, then you ride the last bit hard.

One good thing about doing TTs is that you get better at distance stuff into the bargain.

bonk man

For the first time I am going to do some structured training before next season to see if I can actually go quicker than 25.30 for a ten on our local courses [ slightly lumpy.. ]

I picked up a Les Woodland training book in a junk shop and the advice seems sane but painful, it can be fitted into my lifestyle, which is important...

I think most people have a limit around 21-23 mph for a ten without training but just club rides, Audaxes and some weekday brisk rides, the usual club rider's stuff, that seems to be what happens.. after that structured training is a good idea if you want to get quicker.

My strength is spinning, trouble is; apparently you do need to spin a big gear:biggrin:

Ride an event and see how you get on, the second event will most likely be faster.... as you get the hang of it, until you are regularly doing 22.5mph and then need to train:tongue:

peanut

Noodley said:
as short as possible to begin with, then see how it goes. So probably a 10.

our local club (Yeovil CC ) runs several 5 mile tasters at the beginning and end of season. They are an ideal distance to start on I should think.I expect most race cycle clubs run try it TT events

I read somewhere that the best way to start is to build up a base fitness by doing some steady miles. Frequency rather than intensity. Makes sense to have a good base cardio/vascular fitness level and some strength in the legs before training specifically for TT .

The only way I am going to clock up some miles is to join a local club and do some regular club runs.I am so lazy I know this is the only way I am going to do this but I dread getting left behind on the first uphill bit

Top Bottom