TT Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Noodley said:
What kind of training do people do for TT? Is it all speed work?

Prolonged intervals...to ride at a speed, you need to train at that speed...therefore to improve your times, you need to go ride faster than you can currently cope with bla bla bla.

5 mins on (should be hurting alot), 5 mins off x5 times is a good one to improve your 10 miles speed.

Young Un

montage said:
Prolonged intervals...to ride at a speed, you need to train at that speed...therefore to improve your times, you need to go ride faster than you can currently cope with bla bla bla.

5 mins on (should be hurting alot), 5 mins off x5 times is a good one to improve your 10 miles speed.

most people think 5 mins is too long - 4 mins is what you should be doing;)

montage

God Almighty
Young Un said:
most people think 5 mins is too long - 4 mins is what you should be doing;)

that extra minute of hurt can define the man from the mouse. Anyway lets not turn this into a training thread :smile:

Young Un

Noodley said:
Could I not just do 30 secs? :smile:;)

30 secs on 30 secs off, is a good way to start speed training, then up to 1 min on 1 min off, then if your really keen try 2 mins on 1.30 off. this is less of a TT specific workout, but more of a general speed/fitness regime.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Any further tips?

I'm wanting to enter TT next year but I have no idea what kind of training to do. I usually ride longer audax type events and have therefore adopted a steady pace philosophy to my riding.

lukesdad

what distance are you looking at.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tip....

Ride first 500m balls out..............then the rest balls out..........

I used to ride watching HR rate, i.e if my HR was up to 180 ish range easily them I was on for a fast time, if I was finding getting the HR up, then I'd be a bit slower..........

Tricky..

Takes practice to know what your body will do......

I fancy getting back into TT'ing next year on my road bike, no hats, no aero bars, no use of my Hed wheels - just my road bike as it is.........???

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Just enter one and see what happens. A few high-intensity short rides will help - hills can help with the intensity. If you want to get really serious, then do intervals.

nmcgann

Veteran
Types of TT training? I do 4h endurance rides, 2h tempo rides, 1h sweet-spot turbo sessions, 1h big-gear turbo sessions, 2x20min turbo threshold intervals, 3x15min turbo threshold intervals, 5x6min turbo vo2 intervals, 4x5min turbo vo2 intervals. The progression of pain follows that order pretty much.

What I do depends on where I am in the season. I'm back to the less intense stuff for a while as racing has just finished for me. It's nice to get out and do longer rides for a bit and not have to beast myself with vo2 work :hyper:

Bill Gates

There are whole books out there on the subject of training for bike racing. By and large the weather dictates what, when and where you do the different elements. Racing gets under way early spring and conditions are at their best mainly in the summer months so this is when you want to be at your fastest.

The rest of the time is building endurance, skills and strength to provide a base upon which to build. Do too much too soon on training your top end speed will only result in losing that edge you are trying to gain at the moment you most need it.

This time of the year is a good time to just go out and enjoy riding for the sake of it. Of course this can be a good time to build strength and skills. If you use a computer then you know what sort of speed you can train at over 2-3 + hours. I'm using lower gears so that my cadence is in excess of 100 rpm but maintaining my average speed.

From my experience in short distance TT's a higher cadence works best so as to get on top of the gear @ 100 rpm. I used to ride 56 x 13/14/15/16 or 116"/108/101/95.
Racing @ 30 mph = 56x15 @100 rpm and this was my bread and butter gear in a 10 mile TT. IMO you need to train on the road during the winter months @ 100 rpm so as to build the skills and when it comes to training top end, then as well as doing long intervals on the road also do sprint intervals @ 140 rpm on the rollers or these days the turbo.

You will find it difficult to pedal @ +100 rpm if you're not used to it. It will help to just lift your bum of the saddle if you feel that you're spinning more than is comfortable. Look there are people out there who have done studies to show that cadence is not a factor, but when you consider that it takes 2/3 years to build the necessary skills I can't see how they can reach a conclusion from just a few months of study. You will always get the rider who churns away @ 65 rpm @ 30 mph. Great if it works for them over the longer distances but in a 10 or 25 mile TT then I think they are losing time.

Top Bottom