Tube gone pop.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
35 should be ok in a 38.

as rusky says thats prob not the reason.

Unless they are some weird tube and 35 is the max

It sounds like a weak valve seal at the base to me, I had one on a tube that started as a slow puncture before just peeling away. I've done damage with a hand pump myself...

Also, I've just put some cloth rim tape on my wheels as I was having terrible trouble with punctures from the incredibly sharp holes that the spoke heads sit in and the plastic tape that was there previously has slid about and exposed them. The pumping up and getting to a certain pressure before it goes pop sounds familiar.

OP
OP
Boondoggle

Boondoggle

Regular
Cheers. I actually watched that vid along with others yesterday to check if I was making some obvious mistakes, couldn't find any. If anything I have a couple of extra steps in my process of making sure the tyre is seated.

OP
OP
Boondoggle

Boondoggle

Regular
It sounds like a weak valve seal at the base to me, I had one on a tube that started as a slow puncture before just peeling away. I've done damage with a hand pump myself...

Also, I've just put some cloth rim tape on my wheels as I was having terrible trouble with punctures from the incredibly sharp holes that the spoke heads sit in and the plastic tape that was there previously has slid about and exposed them. The pumping up and getting to a certain pressure before it goes pop sounds familiar.

I was wondering if the spoke heads were causing the weakness either side of the valve. They do seem to stand quite proud inside the rim, maybe the stock rubber band isn't protecting the valve enough under pressure.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I had a new tube latley with a weakness in the area discribed ,it never pumped up properly just went down ,there appeared to be a slight raised ribbed are,I just ditched it

OP
OP
Boondoggle

Boondoggle

Regular
I took it to an independent bike shop owner who had a look, he's got no idea what's causing the problem. I'm going to drop it off at Hallfords tomorrow which is where I bought it. The bike is 5 months old, the bottom bracket wore out at 2 months, the rear wheel bearings around the same time, you can't inflate the tyres beyond 30 psi and the tyres are a really loose fit. I rang customer services and they won't accept the wheels are faulty and need replacing on warranty. I'm told I have to pay to get an independent expert to write a report on the issue and they'll look into refunding. I look forward to hearing Hallfords have gone bust.

Peteaud

Veteran
I took it to an independent bike shop owner who had a look, he's got no idea what's causing the problem. I'm going to drop it off at Hallfords tomorrow which is where I bought it. The bike is 5 months old, the bottom bracket wore out at 2 months, the rear wheel bearings around the same time, you can't inflate the tyres beyond 30 psi and the tyres are a really loose fit. I rang customer services and they won't accept the wheels are faulty and need replacing on warranty. I'm told I have to pay to get an independent expert to write a report on the issue and they'll look into refunding. I look forward to hearing Hallfords have gone bust.

Same old story with Hellfrauds.

Top Bottom