Tube or Puncture Repair Kit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Krypton

Which is best to take with you in case of a puncture?

I'm thinking in terms of fitting them into a small saddle bag :biggrin:

chris42

Both!
But use tube first then I use stick on patches if I need them just to get me home if I'm that unlucky

MsMalfoy

I take a spare tube (or two) and some glueless patches as a back-up.
I do also have Slime tubes on my bike though and ride on Schwalbe Marathons and up to now the Slime tubes have done their job each of the 3 times I've punctured and stayed inflated and got me home.

Chris James

Über Member
Another vote for both. Except I use normal patches and rubber solution. It doesn't weigh much so not worth worrying about.

What IS worth worrying about is if you rely on a tube only, puncture 30 miles from home and don't notice the small thorn in your tyre left over after you change your tube after a puncture. If you have no repair kit you are then goosed.

derall

Guru
Both. Carry two tubes and a pack of Park super patches. And glad I had them last weekend. One puncture on the front and three on the back. Swearing blue murder by the last one (which came half way up the climb from Butler's Cross to Chequers). Michelin Pro Race going a bit thin and passed their 'use by' stage. Should have replaced them weeks ago, so my own fault really.

Both for me too (firm believer in 'belt and braces'), though whether the pump is where it should be ...

Blue

Legendary Member
Both.

I once went through two tubes and then had a third flat on one ride during a cold, wet and windy winter day - I was very glad of the PRK in the saddlebag.

Two tubes, patches, mobile phone.

The better prepared you are, the less p*nct*res you'll have.

I think the p*nct*re fairy sees you're prepared, leaves you alone, picks on someone else.

A bit like using a couple of decent locks - a thief will steal someone else's bike instead.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I always carry both, hope the p***ture fairies aren't reading this... oh and a pump and a CO2 inflator....

Top Bottom