1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tube or Puncture Repair Kit?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Krypton, 25 Jul 2007.

1. Krypton

Krypton New Member

Which is best to take with you in case of a puncture?

I'm thinking in terms of fitting them into a small saddle bag :biggrin:

2. chris42

chris42 New Member

Both!
    But use tube first then I use stick on patches if I need them just to get me home if I'm that unlucky

3. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

Always carry both. use the tube and if you are unlucky, you get to use the patches too.

4. MsMalfoy

MsMalfoy New Member

I take a spare tube (or two) and some glueless patches as a back-up.
    I do also have Slime tubes on my bike though and ride on Schwalbe Marathons and up to now the Slime tubes have done their job each of the 3 times I've punctured and stayed inflated and got me home.

5. Chris James

Chris James Über Member

Another vote for both. Except I use normal patches and rubber solution. It doesn't weigh much so not worth worrying about.

What IS worth worrying about is if you rely on a tube only, puncture 30 miles from home and don't notice the small thorn in your tyre left over after you change your tube after a puncture. If you have no repair kit you are then goosed.

6. chris42

chris42 New Member

30 miles from home is where the mobile phone to the wife is deployed to either bring another wheel or for a lift home! :biggrin:

7. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

Oh no!:biggrin: Puncture kit, tube and mobile phone is way over the weight limit.:smile:

:biggrin:

8. derall

derall Über Member

Both. Carry two tubes and a pack of Park super patches. And glad I had them last weekend. One puncture on the front and three on the back. Swearing blue murder by the last one (which came half way up the climb from Butler's Cross to Chequers). Michelin Pro Race going a bit thin and passed their 'use by' stage. Should have replaced them weeks ago, so my own fault really.

9. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman New Member

Both for me too (firm believer in 'belt and braces'), though whether the pump is where it should be ...

10. chris42

chris42 New Member

your right I'll leave the pump at home! :biggrin: :smile:

11. Blue

Blue Legendary Member

Both.

I once went through two tubes and then had a third flat on one ride during a cold, wet and windy winter day - I was very glad of the PRK in the saddlebag.

12. Lardyboy

Lardyboy New Member

Both. No question.

13. Two tubes, patches, mobile phone.

The better prepared you are, the less p*nct*res you'll have.

I think the p*nct*re fairy sees you're prepared, leaves you alone, picks on someone else.

A bit like using a couple of decent locks - a thief will steal someone else's bike instead.

14. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

I always carry both, hope the p***ture fairies aren't reading this... oh and a pump and a CO2 inflator....

15. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Another vote for both here but I hope I don't get to the PR option too often!!!!!!!!!!!!