Tube strike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nicko

Agree with Mikey, we all ride bikes and should stick together!
There are loads more newbie cyclists on my route, I just hang back and leave them to it or shoot past if there is space..

spen666

Legendary Member
I agree we are all cyclists- like their behaviour or not, they are still cyclists.

Yesterday and to some degree today there were 2 additional groups of cyclists on the road: -

a) Newbie cyclists- very nervous and giving it a go. Probably more dangerous to themselves than others. These people need encouraging

:biggrin: Selfish/ Self centred cyclists- the sort whose only interest is themselves and getting them selves to their destination and sod anyone else whether cyclist, pedestrian or whatever. The sort who see a bus at a busstop on the road, so instead of overtaking it, switch to the pavement and continue on at 15+mph through the throng getting on/off the stationary bus. I'd be pleased if this group learned some respect or alternatively pleased if they never existed.

however these groups and the regular commuing cyclists are all cyclists.

Tynan

Veteran
if I went on a triathlon or one of them audax things would I be a triathalete or an audaxer?

or would I be someone unprepared, incapable being a bit silly and making a nuisance of myself?

8-wheeler said:
This week's tube strike has forced me to start commuting to my new job on bike as early as my second day, which wasn't ideal, but in a way I'm glad now. Roads were absolutely chocker as you can imagine, and it was the motorists that suffered the most.

The RMT want to have their cake and eat it. A blatent p*** take. Their damn union should be broken up. In this day and age, I'm afraid that no one is guaranteed anything in terms of job security or retirement income, or if they are then they should be willing to accept the trade off in terms of lower wages.

Well they dont so it's tough.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's very sad. Have a bit of hope that some will continue to cycle and some will improve their abilities.

I'm particularly for more cyclists no matter how numpty, because they significantly increase safety for all of us, forcing motor vehicle users to be much more careful around cyclists, and to be more used to our presence.

"Bods on bikes"? "Numpty Newbies"?

So everyone on this board was born with their current high standard of cycling skills, were they? No-one here was ever an inexperienced, anxious cyclist?

When I started cycling in London I was a ferkin' idiot, with no clue about positioning, speed, roadsense etc. Luckily I didn't get killed and I stuck with it. Now the mistakes I make are all the better for my 10 years' experience. :biggrin:

(Edited for apostrophe crime. Oh the shame...)

caesar

I've only noticed a few extra numpty cyclists during this strike, haven't really been able to tell what the extra drivers are like as they've just been stationary :biggrin: but I have noticed lots more terrible motorcyclists and mopedophiles.

I am utterly sick of them blocking cyclepaths and ASLs and even got clipped by one last night as I signalled to turn right coming out of an ASL box. I was as far to the right in the box as I could get (a motorbike and a moped in there) and when the lights went green I set off straight and let the bike to my right go shooting off. I raised my right arm about half as far out as I normally do to give the moped plenty of space (he was turning right but not signalling), and another motorbike came flying past between me and the moped and hit my arm. No damage or pain or anything but he must have accelerated hard through a gap about 3 feet wide and could have knocked me off balance and into the path of other traffic. Naturally he didn't stop or apologise.

Normally I go in front of them if they are in the ASL box and let them fail to intimidate me by revving up their dirty engines but I couldn't this time because there were so many peds crossing. I believe it's up to 6 points for crossing into an ASL on a red light - why is this never enforced?

First post on this forum, I used to post on C+ but stopped when it went all bikeradar!

Twenty Inch said:
"Bods on bikes"? "Numpty Newbies"?

So everyone on this board was born with their current high standard of cycling skills, were they? No-one here was ever an inexperienced, anxious cyclist?

When I started cycling in London I was a ferkin' idiot, with no clue about positioning, speed, roadsense etc. Luckily I didn't get killed and I stuck with it. Now the mistakes I make are all the better for my 10 years experience. :biggrin:

No but I did follow the basic road rules and I still do.

BentMikey said:
Sounds like some more instant karma there JE, well done!!

Dr Raven talks bollox.

True about new cyclists caeser I must have just caught them on a bad day.Today was ok just tithead motorists for once who overtake dangerously to get 50 yards up the road to get caught in traffic jams knobheads.Funniest was the rlj who saw what happened and spoke to me then rljed :biggrin:

Top Bottom