Tubeless again grrrrr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Bought myself some new Gravel King tyres to fit, forgot how much of a mare they were to seal on the rims. Gone through 3 CO2 carts already lol. Stuck inner tubes in to see if that can help form the tyres on the rim and will try again. Also what’s a good sealant that I can inject through the valve stem ? Stans race sealant is great but a pain as it’s not for injecting !

I've only used CO2 once, whilst it worked perfect I got my self a Beto air tank. Joes is good for me, I like their bottles which are designed to fit straight onto the valve after removing the core. Stan's also works for me but I bought a Giant branded syringe which has got a stop valve and a long thin hole so I can inject it deep in the tyre and well beyond the valve. :okay:

Jody

Stubborn git
Are you struggling to get them to initially inflated or sealing them after? If its initial inflation then invest in a tubeless track pump or inflator. They make really easy to seat tyres. You can pick them up for about £35.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Excellent tyres. I use mine with tubes. I have about 2000km on them with no problems.

Tubeless are great when they work. But such a faff when they don't. Put some tubes in.

Venod

Eh up
I've wrapped it in a couple of layers of duct tape to strengthen it, usually pump it up to 50 psi and it hasn't exploded yet!

I have used the same up to 100psi (with a twitchy bum the first time) I now use one of these,

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/mi...6-Litre-Bottle-Tubeless-Inflation-System/IK1D

wonderloaf

Veteran
I have used the same up to 100psi (with a twitchy bum the first time) I now use one of these,

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/mi...6-Litre-Bottle-Tubeless-Inflation-System/IK1D
I went to the heady heights of 60 psi once, but it made the ol' sphincter muscle a bit twitchy so decided to back off a bit :ohmy:
I believe the 2 litre drinks bottles are pressurised up to about 55 psi so think 50 psi should be safe.
I've seen people have made inflators using old fire extinguishers and as I like to have a fettle would like to have a go, I'm sure at some point on one of my rides I'll see one abandoned or fly tipped at the side of the road :cursing:

The eternal faff of tubeless road tyres. I’ve tried a few out, they are more hassle than they’re worth, and way more hassle when they puncture / tear whilst on a ride. I just wish the manufacturers would stop defaulting to them of late. A bad idea, is a bad idea, regardless of how much marketing BS you try to apply to it. Leave tubeless for off road, where it’s a) useful, and b) not so much trouble.

Venod

Eh up
The eternal faff of tubeless road tyres. I’ve tried a few out, they are more hassle than they’re worth

They do seem to have a Marmite following, I find them OK and can't see me returning to tubes anytime soon, but I don't run them at high pressure. I can see how the initial hassle would put people off, but I find the comfort and feel worth the trouble, I may change my mind if I get roadside trouble, but I have been lucky, all the punctures I have had have sealed, (he types with crossed fingers)

Last edited:

betty swollocks

large member
if they don't inflate, it's usually, but not always, leakage from around the valve area, so before inflating, make sure you swish the wheel around ensuring plenty of sealant is concentrated there.

Top Bottom