Tubeless conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

I am mainly thinking on this for the punctures. I'm running generally at around 30psi, maybe 25 sometimes. That may sound low but these are big volume 29er tyres.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Looks like it will work fine with your rims. Just tape valves and sealant required.
Excellent. I noticed when I blew the front up yesterday it popped onto the rim, so that is potentially very good news. I'm encouraged to try this now.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Just looking on the Superstar website and there are alloy and brass tubeless valves. I presume the difference is the alloy comes in fancy colours?

I'm also unsure of what tape width I need. My rims are 18 and Superstar do a 19mm tape. Is that suitable?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Just looking on the Superstar website and there are alloy and brass tubeless valves. I presume the difference is the alloy comes in fancy colours?

I'm also unsure of what tape width I need. My rims are 18 and Superstar do a 19mm tape. Is that suitable?
They're pretty good at responding to queries via phone or email, so I'd ring them to make sure. And yes, the alloy valves are just bling colours.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Hah! Superstar said they wouldn't recommend setting the XCX rims up tubeless because they're not tubeless compatible. Fair enough I suppose.

Assuming by alloy, you mean aluminium, I must warn against those. They break off incredibly easy. Yes they come in pretty colours but it is these colours that contribute to their weakness. The colour is attained by anodizing the valve stems, which causes little cracks in the nipple thread. The slightest bit of mishandling and they break off, leaving you truly stranded. Brass is best.

Jody

Stubborn git
Hah! Superstar said they wouldn't recommend setting the XCX rims up tubeless because they're not tubeless compatible. Fair enough I suppose.

I wouldn't give up yet. My standard Giant rims aren't tubeless compatible but still ended up converting them. I got away with tape, valves and sealant but needed a compressor. They have only dropped 3 PSI in 2 months.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I wouldn't give up yet. My standard Giant rims aren't tubeless compatible but still ended up converting them. I got away with tape, valves and sealant but needed a compressor. They have only dropped 3 PSI in 2 months.
I'm still going to do it. Had a few distractions this week, so will probably get the stuff next week.

Ok, I'm interested. Went out for a ride this morning, put bike in the car and by time I got home 20 minutes later the front was very flat. Must have happened within yards of the car as it was fine when I took it off to get it in the car. Not great as that took it up to a grand total of of around 40 miles since I bought it.
So, any idea if it will it work? Tyres are Maxxis Ardent but I can't identify the rim,can anyone help?. Bike is a Voodoo Hoodoo 26
IMG_20150316_154716891[1].jpg

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Ok, I'm interested. Went out for a ride this morning, put bike in the car and by time I got home 20 minutes later the front was very flat. Must have happened within yards of the car as it was fine when I took it off to get it in the car. Not great as that took it up to a grand total of of around 40 miles since I bought it.
So, any idea if it will it work? Tyres are Maxxis Ardent but I can't identify the rim,can anyone help?. Bike is a Voodoo Hoodoo 26
View attachment 82735
I'm a fat lot of help here, having not done it yet (everything is in the basket though, i forget what I've forgotten) but are they wired tyres, as per Cubist's earlier post?

Jody

Stubborn git
Is the tyre tubeless ready? It also depends on the rim construction and the channel down the middle. Some rims leak where the inner and outer skin are joined.

Cheapest way is to tape a rim, pop a valve in and see if you can get them seated. From there it will be sealant and see if they leak or hold pressure.

tubeless-supra-1for3.jpg

View attachment 82735
The rim is a standard non-tubeless rim that can be made tubeless by converting it. Plenty of methods listed in this post. The tyre is one of Maxxis' lightweight tyres that will almost certainly ooze from the sidewalls. Their ability to become tubeless tyres rests entirely on your patience and perseverance. The best advice I can give you with those tyres is to only try with latex type sealant - the white milky stuff.

Top Bottom