Tubeless conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for the tips all.
Think I'll give it a try as I've just found my patched tube has failed. The patch seemed a bit hard and it was the last squeeze of a tube of solution.

Stans conversion kit ('cos it was easy) and off I go with the front wheel.
Theres no way I could have done it without the compressor (couple of HP and a 25ltr tank). Main problem being persuading the beads to seat on the rim as they were going into the centre channel when on the rim. Even with a presta-shraeder adaptor and the car tyre inflator on it I couldn't get enough air into it to seat the beads. Solved eventually by removing the valve core and sticking the air duster gun nozzle in the hole.
Beads seated ok, problem now being I've got my finger over the hole keeping air in and if I take it off the air leaks out and the beads unseat to the centre of the rim again :angry:. Couple of practice runs at getting the valve core back in and car inflator on, then a go with the fluid in.
It's sat on a bucket inflated with no signs of leaks at the moment in the garage.

I'll assess it tomorrow sometime and if I'm happy do the rear wheel.

PS. I had tried just sticking the air blow gun down the valve hole a couple of days ago when fixing the puncture. Tyre inflated and beads seem to sit ok so was quite hopeful it would work.

Jody

Stubborn git
^ Exactly how I did mine. The air duster nozzle works perfectly without the core. A couple of taps with my hand and they seated.

Well done. Hope they hold pressure

Front was ok overnight. No noticeable pressure loss on the track pump gauge, so I did the rear this afternoon. Similar story to the front but a lot quicker due to the experience with it.
Hopefully I'll get out and ride them in the next couple of days.

Top Bottom