Tubeless crazy issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
That's a better description, much like the OP sometimes things work, use your judgement and risk assessment, much like helmet no helmet, clipless or not, jab or no jab, we all know the recommendations and risks involved.
I agree. The set up seemed solid. GP 5000’s mounted first. Then Hutchinson fusion 5’s. Pirelli P-zero after. They even pumped up & sealed easily with a track pump. I either accept tubes or tell them to put it back as it was found. 🤪

iluvmybike

Über Member
In fairness to the mechanic - they will have had to go 'by the book' - as you are paying him for his work he has no choice but to do so or he would invalidate his business insurance. Otherwise, in the event of you having an accident and it found that your rims are not designated as tubeless ready and the cause of the accident the mechanic could be deemed in a court of law to be liable. If you now choose to change back to a tubeless set-up thereby ignoring the mechanic's statement then that is down to you in the event of an accident. People are only too willing these days to point fingers of blame and to go to litigation

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
In fairness to the mechanic - they will have had to go 'by the book' - as you are paying him for his work he has no choice but to do so or he would invalidate his business insurance. Otherwise, in the event of you having an accident and it found that your rims are not designated as tubeless ready and the cause of the accident the mechanic could be deemed in a court of law to be liable. If you now choose to change back to a tubeless set-up thereby ignoring the mechanic's statement then that is down to you in the event of an accident. People are only too willing these days to point fingers of blame and to go to litigation
Yeah I totally understand this. Some mechanics are fine setting up ghetto tubeless every day & others won’t.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yeah. Very annoying.

I'm curious as to what you put the bike into the shop for.

If it was, say, brakes, and he's taken it upon himself to rip out your tubeless installation I would be insisting he put it back, and I would give him a firm reminder not to tinker with my property without permission.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I'm curious as to what you put the bike into the shop for.

If it was, say, brakes, and he's taken it upon himself to rip out your tubeless installation I would be insisting he put it back, and I would give him a firm reminder not to tinker with my property without permission.
Just a frame build. Tubes may have been in how would you tell from looking at them. He’s let air out & peeled off the tire to have a look.
So if something bad happened I couldn’t blame him anyway as I brought them in like that.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I’m now wondering if Shimano have decided to change their stance on their product?

Attachments

• 813B9448-5E52-4F52-9949-DA5D721A18C2.jpeg
    813B9448-5E52-4F52-9949-DA5D721A18C2.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 11

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I think that as with many things in cycling, there really is no standard here. There is no internationally recognised accreditation stamp that a manufacturer can put on their product to say 'actually, really, tubeless ready'. You have these 'TR' marks on stuff but it really means nothing.

A 'tubeless ready' tire is pretty clear - it's a tire that you can use either with or without an inner tube.

A 'tubeless ready' wheel is in my opinion a grey area. Is it a wheel that can go tubeless without any modifications? Is it a wheel that 'just' needs a basic conversion? With different levels of conversion almost any wheel can go tubeless so what's the point of calling it 'tubeless ready' in the first place? Maybe it's a wheel where you can apply mods and still retain warranty? Who knows?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I think that as with many things in cycling, there really is no standard here. There is no internationally recognised accreditation stamp that a manufacturer can put on their product to say 'actually, really, tubeless ready'. You have these 'TR' marks on stuff but it really means nothing.

A 'tubeless ready' tire is pretty clear - it's a tire that you can use either with or without an inner tube.

A 'tubeless ready' wheel is in my opinion a grey area. Is it a wheel that can go tubeless without any modifications? Is it a wheel that 'just' needs a basic conversion? With different levels of conversion almost any wheel can go tubeless so what's the point of calling it 'tubeless ready' in the first place? Maybe it's a wheel where you can apply mods and still retain warranty? Who knows?
Yeah there are hookless rims which can go tubeless. The 3 brands of TL tires I’ve been using have mounted nice & tight hooking to the inside of the rim. I can’t see the tires falling off under pressure. Besides any “real world” tubeless gets a big gash at speed & you could be brought down regardless.

DRM

Guru
If you scroll right down to the questions at the bottom of the page it was asked twice are these wheels tubeless compatible, the answer was yes with a modification kit, that was 3 years ago, and 4 years ago

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Tubes may have been in how would you tell from looking at them. He’s let air out & peeled off the tire to have a look.

On normal tubes, the valve collar may, or may not have a small thin lock ring on them to hold them straight against the rim, or at least I think that's one of there uses! There not completely essential to a successful set up.

The valve collar on tubeless set ups has a larger, beefier lock ring on it with an O ring nestled inside to prevent air leaks. Look closely and you will see the edges of the O ring nestled in there. I strongly suspect the mechanic will have noticed that and correctly deduced that you were running tubeless.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I doubt very much that the mechanic could be found to be liable if he had just left them as they were. If he had been fitting them, then yes.

And he did not have the right, never mind a "duty" to just put tubes in without agreement from the owner.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I’m now wondering if Shimano have decided to change their stance on their product?
that wasn't from Shimano. There are Q&A on wiggle saying you can run them tubeless, which is equally unreliable. I expect shimano website doesn't say one way or t'other

Top Bottom