Tubeless insanity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Like most tyres once you've got it on the rim it will stretch and may never be that difficult to fit again ,Question in the 10 years how many times have you needed to put a tube in ? . I have done 20,000 miles on my tubeless bike and have never needed a tube yet

Only one time as I went for cheap Rubino as a winter test

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Laying the cassette against the carpet won’t be good for keeping it clean.

It’s the garage carpet :smile:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Only one time as I went for cheap Rubino as a winter test

Rubino's are infamously tight, I had a pair I couldn't extract from the rim, I ended up cutting the bead and using a knife to cut through the tyre to get it off. I've since been using Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season tyres and they are a lot easier to get on and off, also using Hutchinson Fusion 5 performance on another bike, they're not bad.

I always clean the rims before installing new tyres (TL), I’ve probably installed 30 sets now including a few for friends. I use a washing basket (tall one) as some where to lay the wheel whilst i work on it, never on the floor as you can’t get enough leverage. I often get 2 levers in and tyre partially on, then rotate it around so i can hold those in place against my body, then 3rd lever to finish the job.

Hardest so far have been 23mm TL on my TT bike but the whole process was done in under 1hr and fully sealed.

I would NEVER EVER dream of taking a TL tyre off roadside, would you use that method to fix a puncture in your car…..

november4

The thing is, its not a tubeless problem, its the rim and tyre match. I had the same struggle out in the world with a regular tyre after taking my sons bike out for a spin and getting puncture, never having had the tyre off that rim as it was a second hand bike. omg that was torture

Personally, if its a such a struggle at home, I wouldn't persevere, try another brand for your rims. I've taken the aforementioned b8stard tyres off my sons bike, and they were nice brand, just didn't work with the rims he has

Top Bottom