Tubeless insanity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I like tubeless, saved me a couple of times from serious accident. Coming down Mt Teide upto 50mph
The extra work setting up is worth it to me. Then there is almost bullet proof puncture resistance.

Ride comfort too with lower pressure. My road bike has got 30mm wide tyres at 55psi

This is like saying you fell off your bike and wearing a helmet saved your life.

I run my commuter with 30mm tyres at 55psi (when I can be bothered topping them up) and they ride superbly.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Spare wheels ? Not seen a car with a spare wheel in years.

Both my cars have spares, although one of them is a space saver.

Dadam

Interesting and timely thread. I put my 30mm slicks back on the bike on Saturday, tubed, pumped to 60psi but yesterday on the way into work hit a minor bump and the front wheel was "bumpy". Turned out the tyre bead had come off the lip and pushed inside the wheel at one point. I'm guessing tubeless would have been an instant flat but apart from the odd lumpy ride I didn't know anything was wrong. I've now put 70 in them but I was really liking the feel at 60. These are also a complete pig to get on the rim and seem to need 70+ to seat properly all the way round.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Interesting and timely thread. I put my 30mm slicks back on the bike on Saturday, tubed, pumped to 60psi but yesterday on the way into work hit a minor bump and the front wheel was "bumpy". Turned out the tyre bead had come off the lip and pushed inside the wheel at one point. I'm guessing tubeless would have been an instant flat but apart from the odd lumpy ride I didn't know anything was wrong. I've now put 70 in them but I was really liking the feel at 60. These are also a complete pig to get on the rim and seem to need 70+ to seat properly all the way round.

high pressure to pop them on them rim, then reduce it. if they are pig to get on the rim, once one they shouldnt come off easily. the chances are they were never properly on the rim in the first place.

worth a try anyway.

Dadam

Yeah, my worry is if I have to fix a puncture, getting the bastards back on while on a ride, then getting enough pressure in to pop them into place

CXRAndy

Guru
This is like saying you fell off your bike and wearing a helmet saved your life.

I run my commuter with 30mm tyres at 55psi (when I can be bothered topping them up) and they ride superbly.

If my tyre had quickly deflated with an inner tube at those speeds I would have come off, especially if it happened on a corner.

I noticed I had a puncture, after an hour's descending. It wasn't there when we started the descent.

The tyre held good pressure, I only noticed the issue with getting a wet leg, thought it was damp patches on the road.
I replaced the tyre, quite a big hole in it. Not worth the risk with lots of fast downhills to come

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I’m going to France and Switzerland in the summer to ride and won’t be risking been fudged.
I now run 28mm and 25mm front. Who else has this awesome combo?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I’m going to France and Switzerland in the summer to ride and won’t be risking been fudged.

That's just weird ! :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

That's just weird ! :whistle:
I haven't tried it yet, but that might work on my CAAD5 (see bike in avatar picture, above left). I don't think a 28 would squeeze in at the front but one might fit at the back. I should have tried it before taking my 2 spare 28s down to Devon and leaving them there.

From a weight distribution perspective, that way round would be better, but from a comfort perspective it would be better to have more cushioning at the front.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't really get bigger than 25mm on my road bikes - very tight clearance - could test it as I've got some 28's on a spare set of wheels though !

ColinJ

Can't really get bigger than 25mm on my road bikes - very tight clearance - could test it as I've got some 28's on a spare set of wheels though !
Even if they fit, if the clearance is too tight, then gravel picked up by the tyres can get wedged into the gap. I had that on one bike which had a tiny clearance even with 25s.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
If my tyre had quickly deflated with an inner tube at those speeds I would have come off, especially if it happened on a corner.

I noticed I had a puncture, after an hour's descending. It wasn't there when we started the descent.

The tyre held good pressure, I only noticed the issue with getting a wet leg, thought it was damp patches on the road.
I replaced the tyre, quite a big hole in it. Not worth the risk with lots of fast downhills to come

I'm very, very sceptical that the type of extremely rapid puncture that would cause a problem tubed would not cause an identical problem tubeless.

There may be some pros for tubeless on road bikes, but that isn't IMO one of them.

13 rider

Guru
Just to freak out the cyclists ocd ,I run 25mm front and 28mm rear which are different brands !!! As well . Giant gavia front ( which I fitted in lockdown as I knew it would fit ) and pirelli cinturato rear LBS fitted
But dont worry ocdists a matching set of pirelli race are soon to be fitted just need to decide 26 or 28 . I think 26s fit nicer to my rims

ColinJ

Just to freak out the cyclists ocd ,I run 25mm front and 28mm rear which are different brands !!! As well . Giant gavia front ( which I fitted in lockdown as I knew it would fit ) and pirelli cinturato rear LBS fitted
But dont worry ocdists a matching set of pirelli race are soon to be fitted just need to decide 26 or 28 . I think 26s fit nicer to my rims
It is perfectly acceptable to run different brands front and rear, as long as they are the same size, as in this fine example... :whistle:

Fettled CAAD5.jpg

Top Bottom