Tubeless or tubed ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After getting a puncture yesterday and having to walk 6 miles home (yes, schoolboy error not having a spare tube with me), I have been thinking.................

Is it worth sticking with tubed tyres and carrying tubes, pump, repair kit, levers etc or is it worth going tubeless (the wheels and tyres are compatible)

Its a 650b MTB

Ajax Bay

Guru
Please search on "tubeless" and read at least half a dozen long threads. Then come back with a synopsis of what you think.

si_c

Guru
Tubeless road looks great. I've been planning to swap over to using it on my commuter (again wheels are compatible, tyres are not), but I've still not worn the front tyre enough to justify replacing it (8000km) and I've had one puncture in 9 months so I've not had the motivation to do it yet. To be honest, given the reliability of modern tyres and tubes, it's really a coin toss as to whether it is worth it. I'm torn on the issue.

Tubeless road looks great. I've been planning to swap over to using it on my commuter (again wheels are compatible, tyres are not), but I've still not worn the front tyre enough to justify replacing it (8000km) and I've had one puncture in 9 months so I've not had the motivation to do it yet. To be honest, given the reliability of modern tyres and tubes, it's really a coin toss as to whether it is worth it. I'm torn on the issue.

Don’t use tubeless on a skinny high pressure ‘roady’ set up. It’s about as effective as solving an algebra equation, by chewing bubble gum. The only advantage of going tubeless, on a road set up, is the lower rolling mass, and the way the tyre works in corners. The puncture protection is non existent , and the pain in the arse caused by the set up, on a roadside fix, really doesn’t help.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
After getting a puncture yesterday and having to walk 6 miles home (yes, schoolboy error not having a spare tube with me), I have been thinking.................

Is it worth sticking with tubed tyres and carrying tubes, pump, repair kit, levers etc or is it worth going tubeless (the wheels and tyres are compatible)

Its a 650b MTB
I'd just carry at least instant patches and pump. I think you'll need more kit for tubeless than that so maybe it depends if your setup would self-heal well enough that you'd trust it.

Also, if you're near Peterborough, don't corner shops stock repair kits (many do in Norfolk, even in fairly small villages) or had you not taken a pump?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Go tubeless if you can.
It can be a pain if the wheels and tyre are not tubeless ready.
Ill happily help you sort it if you want..
Once done its great

Pm me

Go tubeless if you can.
It can be a pain if the wheels and tyre are not tubeless ready.
Ill happily help you sort it if you want..
Once done its great

Pm me
Until you get a tiny stone / flint / pointy thing in the tyre. You end up with a load of sealant up your back, a squishy unrideable tyre, and a nightmare of a job getting the tyre re seated, having extracted the villain, re filling the tyre with the sealant that’s been lost, and you need to have a high shot pump to hand, which approximately no one ever has had. You might as well not bother, and just use a clincher and tube set up, on a ( relative ) high pressure road tyre set up unless you have support with you, and if you have support with you, you’d be better off with tubs anyway.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Until you get a tiny stone / flint / pointy thing in the tyre. You end up with a load of sealant up your back, a squishy unrideable tyre, and a nightmare of a job getting the tyre re seated, having extracted the villain, re filling the tyre with the sealant that’s been lost, and you need to have a high shot pump to hand, which approximately no one ever has had. You might as well not bother, and just use a clincher and tube set up, on a ( relative ) high pressure road tyre set up unless you have support with you, and if you have support with you, you’d be better off with tubs anyway.

Its for MTB.
Though you can get sealant on your clothes which wont wash out

Top Bottom