Tubeless puncture question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

Thanks. I assume though it's still best to stop briefly and remove the object that was sticking out of the tyre. I can only imagine further cycling pushing it further into the tyre

Based on reviews, I've ordered some Stans No Tubes Race Sealant
As said above, most of the time you won't know you've punctured, and if whatever cased the puncture is still in the tyre, it's actually helping to plug the hole. If you do want/need to pull it out, then spin the wheel as soon as you do to get the sealant to the hole. It's not an exact science.

Stans Race is supposed to good with plenty chunky sealy bits, but check how often you need to top it up. I think is more frequent than most, and I don't think it takes to kindly to CO2 inflation.

OP
OP
M

ms10

Regular
Sealant seems to be hit and miss. My mate has had loads of issues with Slime not doing its job. Only time Stans has let me down is when I put a gash in the sidewall.

8 punctures on last nights ride and not one stopped me :wahhey: (sorry OP)

I'm running 2.3's at about 25-30PSI but I've had them. GG
as high as 50 with no issues.

8!!

At what point does the tyre start looking like a pin cushion and require replacing?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
8!!

At what point does the tyre start looking like a pin cushion and require replacing?
I ride tubeless Conti 5000 tyres and I'm on my second pair. The first.pair lasted 14 months and +/- 6000 miles. They wore out but didn't suffer anything like enough damage to look like this. There were no significant cuts, nicks etc. I think you've just been unlucky.

My tyres are 28mm and I ride at 90 psi. You're 60 psi seems very low to me and I feel my increase the potential to puncture. I must admit though I've no idea on recommended pressures for 32mm tyres but 60 would worry me.

Ajax Bay

Guru
OP is running Panaracers 32mm wide.
My tyres are 28mm and I ride at 90 psi. You're 60 psi seems very low to me and I feel my increase the potential to puncture. I must admit though I've no idea on recommended pressures for 32mm tyres but 60 would worry me.
For tyres that, at pressure (say 60psi), actually measure 32mm, 60psi rear and 40psi front would support a rider/bike load of 80kg.
For tyres that, at pressure (say 90psi), actually measure 28mm (eg 5000s - depends on rim of course), 90psi rear would support a rider/bike load of 100kg. Maybe the OP is more svelte than you, Paul!
Me, I run the 28mm 5000s (not TL) at 90 rear and 75 front. You might deduce my/my bike's) weight from that, but you'd be wrong: I add 10psi to both tyres, for good luck, faster rolling and reduced snakebite chance.

OP
OP
M

ms10

Regular
OP is running Panaracers 32mm wide.

For tyres that, at pressure (say 60psi), actually measure 32mm, 60psi rear and 40psi front would support a rider/bike load of 80kg.
For tyres that, at pressure (say 90psi), actually measure 28mm (eg 5000s - depends on rim of course), 90psi rear would support a rider/bike load of 100kg. Maybe the OP is more svelte than you, Paul!
Me, I run the 28mm 5000s (not TL) at 90 rear and 75 front. You might deduce my/my bike's) weight from that, but you'd be wrong: I add 10psi to both tyres, for good luck, faster rolling and reduced snakebite chance.

I'm around 80kg. The 60psi is based on Panaracers advised max pressure for tubeless.

It does initially feel weird riding wide tyres at these pressures. Kind of reminiscent of being a kid in the 70s and Dad hadn't pumped my tyres up properly.

However, they roll well and are comfortable.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Ajax Bay - very nicely put! 😂 I am 69.5kg and the bike fully loaded, bottles, pump, bag, is 9.2kg so I'm hauling just short of 79kg.

My pressure is actually 6 bar which is 87psi. I use bar as it's easier to read on the pump pressure gauge! I admit to being very anal* about tyre pressure believing a well inflated tyre is the best solution to avoiding punctures - I once went seven years without one. I rarely have a problem with objects penetrating the tyre but did puncture both tubed tyres January 2019 when I hit a very deep, water filled pothole at speed - lucky to stay upright in fact. That was my last puncture.

Right or wrong 60 psi would be a worry to me.

* I even put in one extra pump stroke to allow for what escapes as I uncouple the track pump. 😂 Ridiculous.

Jody

Stubborn git
8!!

Not sure as I've only replaced them when worn out. The thorns snap off or wear so you can't tell from the outside other than wet small wet patches

I'll keep riding while ever they are free from any decent sized cuts.

Top Bottom