Tubeless to tubed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hadn't considered that, but it's hard to see how the inner surface of the tyre could prevent safe use of an inner tube.
you'd be correct.
The main difference is the carcase of tubeless tyres is airtight, as opposed to ordinary tyres which will let air through over a period of time.
Yes, most tubeless tyres have a layer of softer rubber material than the main compound around the inside ( a bit like a permanent inner tube ).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Did it to my son's mtb (went from tubeless to tubed) about 6 months ago. Really simple, just mopped up the fluid (messy) and cleaned it all up as best I could then left it all to dry. You want it properly dry as the last thing you want is the tube gluing itself to the tyre and rim. I reassembled with lots of talc to make doubly sure it didn't stick. I also left the existing rim tape in there, if it is strong enough to resist the air pressure without a tube then it is also strong enough to resist pressure with the tube.

D

Deleted member 26715

Certainly used to work for cars where the rim wouldn't seal.
You should never run a car or motorbike tubeless tyre with a tube in for other than as an emergency short term repair. Never having had a tubeless cycle tyre or examined one I can't comment on their use, but both car & motorcycles have ridges on the inside of the tyre from the manufacturing process, these will eventually rub their way through an inner tube which will result in an immediate failure.

You should never run a car or motorbike tubeless tyre with a tube in for other than as an emergency short term repair. Never having had a tubeless cycle tyre or examined one I can't comment on their use, but both car & motorcycles have ridges on the inside of the tyre from the manufacturing process, these will eventually rub their way through an inner tube which will result in an immediate failure.
There is no real difference in the construction of a cycle tyre, whether designed for tubes or tubeless. Except for Subtle compound differences, and the aforementioned soft layer inside. There is no reason not to run a tube inside. I’ve had 6000 miles from a ‘tubeless’ tyre, with an inner tube, with no issues.

CXRAndy

Guru
Can you change a tubeless set up and just put an inner tube in it to make it Tubed again?
Example a giant TCR will come set up tubless but if it is not great, as tubeless is a bit of a marmite situation (love it or hate it) from what I have been reading, could you then just drain the fluid clean it off and just pop inner tubes back in it or do you have to change the rim tape and tyres. I have not found out any information on whether you can do this, might be a dumb question but I just don’t know ,
Thanks

Yes, Ive done it a couple of times where ive had a big slice in the tyre. bad enough sealant wont work, so threw in an inner tube, till tyre wears out. clean up sealant, by peeling rubber deposit from tyre

Can you change a tubeless set up and just put an inner tube in it to make it Tubed again?
Example a giant TCR will come set up tubless but if it is not great, as tubeless is a bit of a marmite situation (love it or hate it) from what I have been reading, could you then just drain the fluid clean it off and just pop inner tubes back in it or do you have to change the rim tape and tyres. I have not found out any information on whether you can do this, might be a dumb question but I just don’t know ,
Thanks
Yes, no problem. I had a bad load of Finishline sealant and used a inner tube for months. You just need to remove the tubeless valve.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Interesting.

As @DCBassman says, we used to put a tube in a tubeless tyre quite often in the 1970s.

I fitted lots of tubeless and tubed tyres in those days, and I don't recall the inside of the tyre being any different - not that I ever did a close comparison.

Things move on, at that time tubeless was an innovation not specified by many manufacturers, rather like the position with bicycles today.

I recall a few years ago asking a tyre shop about putting a tube into a punctured car tyre and they told me they no longer do it.

Tempting to think it's mostly to sell more tyres, but maybe there is now a valid safety reason.

Top Bottom