Tubeless to tubed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmw492

Veteran
Can you change a tubeless set up and just put an inner tube in it to make it Tubed again?
Example a giant TCR will come set up tubless but if it is not great, as tubeless is a bit of a marmite situation (love it or hate it) from what I have been reading, could you then just drain the fluid clean it off and just pop inner tubes back in it or do you have to change the rim tape and tyres. I have not found out any information on whether you can do this, might be a dumb question but I just don’t know ,
Thanks

Not entirely sure, but would have thought just clean up and install tube. If a tube can ve used as an emergency puncture repair (if the tubeless ststem fails), no reason it can't stay there...

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Not entirely sure, but would have thought just clean up and install tube. If a tube can ve used as an emergency puncture repair (if the tubeless ststem fails), no reason it can't stay there...
Yes thanks I’ve thought the same but was thinking was that just a quick fix emergency to get you home like a spare wheel on a car maybe, ok to run on it till fixed properly.

Yes thanks I’ve thought the same but was thinking was that just a quick fix emergency to get you home like a spare wheel on a car maybe, ok to run on it till fixed properly.
If it will do one, I see no obvious reason why the other isn't possible. But I have never run tubeless.
Certainly used to work for cars where the rim wouldn't seal.

Venod

Eh up
Yes just wipe all the sealant off and put a tube in, some of the old sealant may have dried on and be difficult to remove, I can't see it causing any problems as long as its not a large obvious lump, if you have been riding on the tubeless set up check for any thorns etc that may have pierced the tyre and sealed.

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
Yes can be done as a temporary repair to get you home but tubeless tyres (far as i know) are not made to be used with tubes (inner surface of the tyre ) so best to keep them tubeless or fit new tyre and tubes? If you dont like the tubeless set up perhaps just use it until you need new tyres then fit tubed tyres?

robgul

Legendary Member
Yes - you may find that the tyres will seat onto the rim bead with a bit of a bang as tubeless ready wheels are normally a tighter fit than non-tubeless ready.

I'm running Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tyres on Fulcrum tubeless ready wheels with tubes (at the moment - I've been fiddling about to try and get the tyres on as tubeless with no success so far . . .. that's with a compressor, track pump, CO2 and an SKS "air tank" )

Rob

Jody

Stubborn git
It depends on what sealant you are using. If its slime or something similar then forget it but latex solutions are fine. Just pour away whats in the tyre, give it a quick wipe (or drag around on the grass), put a tube in and away you go.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
but tubeless tyres (far as i know) are not made to be used with tubes (inner surface of the tyre )

I hadn't considered that, but it's hard to see how the inner surface of the tyre could prevent safe use of an inner tube.

The main difference is the carcase of tubeless tyres is airtight, as opposed to ordinary tyres which will let air through over a period of time.

Can you change a tubeless set up and just put an inner tube in it to make it Tubed again?
Example a giant TCR will come set up tubless but if it is not great, as tubeless is a bit of a marmite situation (love it or hate it) from what I have been reading, could you then just drain the fluid clean it off and just pop inner tubes back in it or do you have to change the rim tape and tyres. I have not found out any information on whether you can do this, might be a dumb question but I just don’t know ,
Thanks
Yes you can. I’ve had to do it with all of the tubeless road tyres I’ve had, whilst out on a ride. You have to remove the tubeless valve as well, which is a messy pain in the rump job, if it’s cold / dark wet.

Yes can be done as a temporary repair to get you home but tubeless tyres (far as i know) are not made to be used with tubes (inner surface of the tyre ) so best to keep them tubeless or fit new tyre and tubes? If you dont like the tubeless set up perhaps just use it until you need new tyres then fit tubed tyres?
Not true. There's nothing in there that makes them incompatible with tubes.

Yes can be done as a temporary repair to get you home but tubeless tyres (far as i know) are not made to be used with tubes (inner surface of the tyre )
who told you that? It’s completely wrong.
so best to keep them tubeless or fit new tyre and tubes? If you dont like the tubeless set up perhaps just use it until you need new tyres then fit tubed tyres?
The tubeless tyres will work perfectly well with tubes fitted, for as long as possible if you want. On a proper tubeless rim ( as opposed to a tubeless ready rim ) there is an increased risk of getting a pinch on the tube, if you’re not careful when you start, as there is less room for the tube to sit properly due to the sealed ‘gully’ over where the spoke holes usually are. If a standard rim has been made tubeless ready, the tubeless rim tape is a bit thicker, so ( again ) there is less room. I’ve quite happily run my tubeless tyres, with tubes, until the tyres have worn out, with no issues.

Top Bottom