Tubeless Tyre Damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic_cyclist

Evening all,

I have a very slow deflating rear tyre, upon close inspection, I have found a slight incision (can feel the air whistling out when my hand is near).

The question is, how exactly do you repair such a small cut in the tyre?

Attachments

• 20210618_165739.jpg
    20210618_165739.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 22

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@plastic_cyclist you need a plug kit. There are numerous ones available. It's a five minute job to insert a plug, inflate the tyre and job is done.

I use Dynaplug but there are many others.

http://www.dynaplug.com/

boydj

Legendary Member
Alternatively, you could open the tyre and patch the inside if you are confident of getting the tyre to seal again. Or you could take the valve core out and put some sealant in, which may seal the hole if it's not too big.

Milzy

Guru
Plugs work & are great out in the field but if you’re at home you might as well patch it up from the inside & make sure there’s plenty of fresh sealant inside.

Milzy

Guru
How often are you supposed to inject more sealant? I've had the bike since August 2020
Every 12 months is good but I once left for 2 years & there was still a small amount left in. Usually in two years the tire is shot for me & rear even less.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

Plugs work & are great out in the field but if you’re at home you might as well patch it up from the inside & make sure there’s plenty of fresh sealant inside.
Just an update on this, I put more sealant in, and it seemed to have plugged the hole until I was enjoying a nice view mid-ride whilst eating a banana.....I suddenly heard....Hhhhhiiiiiissssssssssssssssssss and a load of Sealant regurgitating around the hole!!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
This patch lasted until the tyre wore out.
IMG_20210625_143832724.jpg

Milzy

Guru
Just an update on this, I put more sealant in, and it seemed to have plugged the hole until I was enjoying a nice view mid-ride whilst eating a banana.....I suddenly heard....Hhhhhiiiiiissssssssssssssssssss and a load of Sealant regurgitating around the hole!!
Sealant will only fill tiny tiny holes. Any visible hole must be patched or plugged properly.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Sealant will only fill tiny tiny holes. Any visible hole must be patched or plugged properly.
Yes and that is also a learning experience. I find the worms or anchovy plugs struggled to stay in place at pressures above 50 psi. Suspect they might be better in mountain bike tyres. I will either carry superglue or buy some of those dynaplug things. There are a few techniques to learn that you can’t easily practice until needed. Having had a bit of a nightmare I feel I’ve learned a lot About what to do next time.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes and that is also a learning experience. I find the worms or anchovy plugs struggled to stay in place at pressures above 50 psi. Suspect they might be better in mountain bike tyres. I will either carry superglue or buy some of those dynaplug things. There are a few techniques to learn that you can’t easily practice until needed. Having had a bit of a nightmare I feel I’ve learned a lot About what to do next time.
I'm not at all sure what a "worm" or "anchovy" plug is. I can comment the plugs which come with a Dynaplug kit work with pressures up to 70psi. I'm riding tyres plugged with this kit ranging in pressure from 45-70psi. My oldest plug was put in last February.

I agree there are always new techniques to learn but inserting a plug with Dynaplug is very simple. Find the hole, carefully position the plug and push it in. Nothing more is required.

lane

Veteran

I wonder what i was doing wrong when I used a dynoplug. I gave up on tubeless because my experience was they don't work but obviously they do for some people which is strange.

Milzy

Guru
I wonder what i was doing wrong when I used a dynoplug. I gave up on tubeless because my experience was they don't work but obviously they do for some people which is strange.
Could be it was in not tight enough. However plugs are supposed to put you on until you get home. When home you can do a proper patch up on the inside. I’ve never had a hole big enough to worm in many years of Tubeless.

Top Bottom