Tubeless Tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I haven’t said anything.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Over 20,000 km on tubeless (all Hutchinson Sector 28s) with no damage requiring any attention at the roadside whatsoever and only one puncture which I even noticed at that time. That was a glass cut about 5mm long or so which took a minute or so to seal, but did, with minimal loss of pressure (765psi down to 65psi). I later internally patched that and the tyre lasted another 3,000km before i replaced it. So far, tyres have lasted 10-12,000 km front and 7-8,000 rear so I'm not complaining about any aspect.

This is on Yorkshire Dales roads, which are buttery smooth and swept clean daily .... ;-) Or maybe not but, To be fair, there's very little in the way of bits of glass and flints, but the roads are quite rough for the most part so whilst it might be a pretty good environment for avoiding 'sharps' type punctures, it's heavy for wear and not good for pinch flats (with tubes).

Yes, you can put a tube in. I did that once, just to make sure that I could if necessary. I don't imagine I would ever return to using tubes though.
This does reflect my experience with 28mm and 30mm tyres on decent tubeless rims. Dead easy to work with lower pressures that are much more in line with MTB means the sealant has a chance. I didn't fiddle much with sealant but I always felt 90psi on a 23mm didn't give the sealant much of a chance. I suppose I have proven that as most of the ones I considered to have not sealed stopped leaking at 35-50psi. But you could feel that drop in pressure on 23mm. Oh Also at 95psi I knew before I felt it on the bike by the wet calves!! And getting it off the seat tube after a week of commuting mixed in with all the gunge was fecking nightmare!

The main problem I hated riding 30mm tyres!! The bike they fitted on was heavy enough as it was.

Last edited:
Had a double puncture on the X-One rear yesterday morning;didn't notice until I went to move the bike in the afternoon at work.Reckon it happened on a short hop between getting a coffee and work.

Was able to re-inflate to get me home and then this morning added some more sealant and tyre is still up at proper pressure.

I probably didn't put enough sealant in originally for it to seal properly,should be enough now:whistle:.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Had a double puncture on the X-One rear yesterday morning;didn't notice until I went to move the bike in the afternoon at work.Reckon it happened on a short hop between getting a coffee and work.

Was able to re-inflate to get me home and then this morning added some more sealant and tyre is still up at proper pressure.

I probably didn't put enough sealant in originally for it to seal properly,should be enough now:whistle:.
That was my other problem always added that bit more then whilst riding kept wondering if it was sloshing around too much slowing me down

Mike!

Guru
The bike may come with tubeless ready tyres, but you can bet your life they will come with tubes in.
No, it will come from Giant setup tubeless.

I have the Giant tubeless setup on the defy I brought earlier in the year, almost got the shop to remove them and go with my favored GP4000 tyres and tubes but thought i would give them a go. 1000 miles up and no problems, not saying I'm converted yet but so far I'm impressed!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am running tubeless on some tubeless ready carbon rims with Schwalbe Pro One 25mm. A bit of a faff to setup, but so far I am more than happy on the road. I do carry a spare tube just in case, but I hope to never use it because it was tough work getting the tyre on and off with bare hands.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Thankyou all for your help and advise.

U

User482

I've been running tubeless on my road bike for about two years now. Overall, I like it - they do feel like they roll nicely and seal up punctures with some loss of pressure, but perfectly ok to get you home. You can still fit a tube if the puncture won't seal.

Downsides? Care is needed with fitting to get the tape properly sealed, you need to keep the sealant topped up, and sometimes the tyres are hard to seat. I found that Schwalbe Pro Ones were a bit fragile with poor wet grip, so have switched to Hutchinson Secteur 28s which seem much better.

Top Bottom