Tubs v clinchers (sew-ups v wire-ons)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
thegravestoneman

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Some good advice about tyre pressure hear.

http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/BQTireDrop.pdf

And stop pinching my KOM's ^_^
if you give me a list of your KOMs I will do my best to avoid them (honest:angel:)

cheers for that I shall give it some perusal

VamP

Banned
Same tyres back and front? Same pressures? Under power?

It's not icy out your way is it?

Another thought, what wheels are these? I can induce quite alarming rear wheel skids on one, slightly less than optimally stiff rear wheel. Do you get any rear brake block rubbing when sprinting?

OP
OP
thegravestoneman

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Not icy and under average power I could get a lot more power down, the tyres are the same but the back was low on this trip so could be a culprit. I used to get some wheel flex on my tub wheels when climbing which was part of the reason for the change to clincher. (Campag Vento)
The wheel seems to skip sidewards about 2 to 3 inch? Going to give the whole bike a good looking at, It feels like a broken axle or a snapped frame but both seem ok on road side inspection.

edit
Campag Zonda not vento

VamP

Banned
Funnily enough got some taste of road rash on way home tonight. Power down coming out of corner, and poof both wheels just skittered away from under me. There's some proper greasy shite on the roads rite now! Gonna start doing intervals indoors .

simon.r

Person
Funnily enough got some taste of road rash on way home tonight. Power down coming out of corner, and poof both wheels just skittered away from under me. There's some proper greasy s***e on the roads rite now! Gonna start doing intervals indoors .

I've been having issues with lack of traction recently. I'd put it down to a new rear tyre, but I've done 200 odd miles on it now, so it should be worn in.

I think the roads around here are exceptionally slippery at present. We've not had any significant rain for a while, so all the rubber, oil and general crap has accumulated on the roads and not been washed away. That combined with the fact that the roads have been damp the last few times I've been out have made for a few 'interesting' moments!

OP
OP
thegravestoneman

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
hope you are o.k vamP, I tend to hurt more the next day and hope this is different for you. Yes greasy roads are
one of the things I suspected but others in my circle haven't found this so much.

VamP

Banned
hope you are o.k vamP, I tend to hurt more the next day and hope this is different for you. Yes greasy roads are
one of the things I suspected but others in my circle haven't found this so much.

I'm fine, just a little road rash and a few bruises. The bike is fine too, but my Castellis have a couple of little holes :cry:

My softshell was covered in black greasy oily crap so at least I know what the culprit was.

VamP

Banned
I was in at post #8. So far, all I got is tyre pressures, and the OP was a bit vague about that, too 80-100 psi is quite a range.

Well, I know he rides a steel and a carbon roadie, but it's just the carbon one he has been having problems with, normally he pumps to 100ish, and the tyre will almost certainly be either a 23 or 25mm. He is also obviously a pretty experienced rider, and if I had to guess a weight, I'd go 70 - 80 kg. It's pretty greasy out there at the moment, and a few of us have had twitchy wheels.

What will your recommendation be oh wise one?

Top Bottom