Tubular Tyre Terror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
My god have you ever tried to stick a tubular tyre onto a rim? I had no idea what an event it would be. I'm not going to go into it too much but there was swearing and fingers stuck together followed by more swearing.

The good news is that I have a fresh pair of 'tubs' stuck onto a pair of 'proper' wheels. Another step in the direction of a proper cyclist. Albeit one who has 20 year old gear :ohmy:

The query - does the glue REALLY work? It all looks a bit shady to me...I don't fancy a tyre flying off at top speed.

Oh and you can pump them up so hard. I'll be trying them out tomorrow in the club 10.

jimboalee

The modern method is to use 'tub tape'.

It is placed on the rim first with the plastic sheild outward. The tub is mounted and then the plastic sheild pulled away to let the tub settle on the adhesive.

I changed from tubs to clinchers as soon as.

Glue is the way to go, you'll get better/faster/less messy the more you do them.

Yes tape is faster, but I've seen and heard of more tubs rolling off when taped rather than glue, also glued tubs have a lower rolling resistance than taped, though I'm not sure I could tell the difference in that. Also glued tubs when needing changing at the road side, there is always some glue still on the rim which can help hold the new tub tight enough to still ride without worrying too much, rather than needing to carry a pre taped tub or a roll of tape.

What happens when out and you get a flat with a clincher, you need to stop and sort it there and then, but with a tub you can still ride on as the tub still protects the rim, I managed to still nail the last 1/2mile in a TT with a flat rear tub, no way I could have done that on a clincher, I also still managed to nip under my PB.

Tubs and glue may sound old fashioned but I prefer the feel of riding on good tubs over good clinchers, but I do still ride both for convenience

As you no doubt found out the hard way,gluing tubs on is an art in itself especially getting the tub seated correctly.

It's even worse if you have to replace a tub - solvent is needed to get rid of the old glue to do a proper job.

They are nice to use and I would encourage anyone to try them out at least once but the time/effort and mess is not worth it IMHO.

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
A guy from the club had the wheels hanging in his garage for years and decided to give them to me, telling me that tubs are much quicker. I have my first 25 mile TT in a few weeks so I thought they would be good for that. But if it punctures then that's it right? There doesn't seem to be any way to fix them.

Will1985

Über Member
Brahan said:
A guy from the club had the wheels hanging in his garage for years and decided to give them to me, telling me that tubs are much quicker.
Modern consensus is that the difference is now small compared to when those wheels were probably last used.

Young Un and I have seen the effects of a crash as a result of a tub rolling off a poorly taped rim....wasn't pretty.

brodie

But if it punctures then that's it right? There doesn't seem to be any way to fix them.
Out on the road, you take off the tub and put your spare on. When you get home, you repair the puncture by unstitching the casing, just enough to pull a bit of the inner tube out, and then patching as normal. Then you sew it back up.

I've always prefer glue. Tub tape seems to leave a thick horrible gooey mess on the tub and rim.

With a new tub, it helps to put it on a clean unglued rim/wheel and leave it pumped up hard on a few days before sticking the tub.

The good news is that I have a fresh pair of 'tubs' stuck onto a pair of 'proper' wheels. Another step in the direction of a proper cyclist. Albeit one who has 20 year old gear ;)
I prefer 25 year old stuff myself, ie Campag Super Record, low profile box section Mavic rims with the red label...

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Will1985 said:
Young Un and I have seen the effects of a crash as a result of a tub rolling off a poorly taped rim....wasn't pretty.

Thanks for that, no really that's just what I need to have running through my mind tomorrow.....;):eek:

I'll be checking them out tonight.

Young Un

Brahan said:
Thanks for that, no really that's just what I need to have running through my mind tomorrow.....;):eek:

I'll be checking them out tonight.

If your not comfortable doing them yourself please get a shop that does them regularly to do them for you. Mine were glued on by a good shop and get used for track racing = hard cornering on a banked track at high speeds and mine are fine. Unfortunately, when they are put on my inexperienced people using tub tape, like Will said, they do come off and cause nasty accidents. In the one we saw it was a broken collar bone and a broken shoulder blade and the guy has not been on the biike in about 2/3 months!

MajorMantra

Brahan said:
A guy from the club had the wheels hanging in his garage for years and decided to give them to me, telling me that tubs are much quicker. I have my first 25 mile TT in a few weeks so I thought they would be good for that. But if it punctures then that's it right? There doesn't seem to be any way to fix them.

I think some people use a sealant like Vittoria Pit Stop to 'heal' punctures. I guess that would reduce the weight savings of tubs though and it probably wouldn't be much use with bigger cuts in the tyres.

Matthew

mattsccm

From the Luddite who rode 27x 1 1/4" ers in 1980 and then went to tubs. Bought my first bike with 700c clinchers last year. Still using my very first tub. Rather thin now but it was a good one and it hasn't been ridden weekly. Done a few punctures but not many more than the ones done in my clinchers since October. Never thrown a tub away. (don't ask) . My experience is that they do not puncture as easily and if they do they don't put you on your ear on a fast down hill. I use tape and glue according to wheels and whats already there. not for everyone but maybe worth a try if cheap or free.
As an aside you can often get them on wheels very cheap at proper bike shops. you know, the old ones. I have bought several pairs on Record screw on hubs for about a tenner.

Top Bottom