Tubular tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
They need to be glued or taped, and no

I take it you do really mean tubular not tubeless. I went out the other day on my old tubulars, just because I am tight fisted and wanted to get use out my old tub wheels. I basically went out with a tin of pitstop and a mobile phone as my tools. If the pitstop did not work in case of a puncture I was going to ring my missus to pick me up. carrying a spare glued tub and trying to fit it by the side of the road is too much of a faff.
So my advice is dont buy any tub wheels and tyres unless you like riding with that nagging doubt in your mind as to when you puncture you may have along walk home. Of course they managed years ago but modern clinchers and tubeless tyres can be just as good and less faff.

Sharky

Guru
The rims for tubs are also different. So unless you are planning on complete new wheels, not worth the effort. Today's clinchers are so close to tubs that you would not notice the difference.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
As above I'm presuming you mean tubular (tubs) for tubular rims rather than tubeless for clincher rims.

We run tubs on my son's race bike, plus our track and TT bikes.

They're not that hard to fit, as long as you put them on without glue/tape to stretch for a couple of days before-hand. We use tape for the TT and road bikes plus glue for the track bikes, as that's a requirement.

Would I use them for daily riding? No. I've a club-mate who does, but has to carry sealant and on longer distances a spare pre-taped tyre. In our case they're for race use or track/TT training only.

OP
OP
D

DaveM77

Ok thanks for the answers. That’s confirmed what I thought. Shame as the wheels I got offered looked really good

Top Bottom