Tuition Fees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
So, Number 1 son is of to uni (A level results dependent) this summer. Ok, he can get a loan for tuition, but what about maintenance...what are the experiences of the hive mind... do we go for maximum relief, or get him to get a part time time job to help. He will be studying at Lancaster which is a very much campus based Uni.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Treat it as a graduate tax, not a fee. Son no. 1 is about to finish his 4-year Master's in Mechanical Engineering at Lincoln and son no. 2 is hoping to do well enough to start at Nottingham in September studying History and Politics.

Basically he will be paying back a small amount each month for 30 years once he's graduated and is earning enough.

My advice as a university academic is to get the biggest maintenance support he can and avoid working during term-time. It's disruptive to the student experience and tends to result in lower grades unless connected with the course.

Best wishes to your son for his A-levels. What's he hoping to study?

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
As @DCLane says, the current loan system is more a graduate tax, unless your son is particularly successful early in his career for most students there is little realistic prospect of repayment.

Assuming interest at 3% after 3 years of university, the student debt is around £60,000. On this basis earning £30k repayments would be around £300 per year and interest circa £2k. The good thing about plan 2 is that whilst repayment is unlikely, the monthly repayments themselves are also very low and whilst being low it's inevitably written off in 30 years.

On that basis, even if you felt able to fully fund the cost of university (tuition and cost of living) it doesn't make economical sense to do so, I would take the full loans.

Edit to add, I'm not a financial adviser, so take the advice accordingly. My back of the napkin calculations have assumed a 30k starting salary and inflation at an RPI of 2.5%, if your son starts his career with a much higher income, then the calculations may change, if RPI goes up significantly then this will also change the calculations somewhat. Broadly speaking however most graduates should consider it unlikely that repayment will occur, and moreover that even should their incomes rise over the life of the loan they will likely end up paying less in total than they borrowed if they take the full loans.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A Prof that Lectures - that's a new one. We can't get ours to Teach ! :laugh:

My daughter is 'hopefully' going to Uni locally, so won't get the maintenance grant. If she was 'away' she'd get just over £4k which doesn't go far towards accommodation.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Treat it as a graduate tax, not a fee. Son no. 1 is about to finish his 4-year Master's in Mechanical Engineering at Lincoln and son no. 2 is hoping to do well enough to start at Nottingham in September studying History and Politics.

Basically he will be paying back a small amount each month for 30 years once he's graduated and is earning enough.

My advice as a university academic is to get the biggest maintenance support he can and avoid working during term-time. It's disruptive to the student experience and tends to result in lower grades unless connected with the course.

Best wishes to your son for his A-levels. What's he hoping to study?

I never worked during term time but did work most of the holidays. Not only was the money useful but experience actually working was good discipline and I enjoyed it anyway. In those days we had rather more generous financial support than now.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I did a Postgrad at Lancaster and there is very little to do on and off that campus. I would strongly advise anyone to go to Uni in a big city where there is plenty going on for all interests etc. No way would I want to be stuck on that campus for 3 years.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's true, there's feck all to do in Lancaster.

Best advice is tell him to get a PT job to increase his income whilst at uni and reduce his debt afterwards, and spend the rest of his time studying instead of partying :okay:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Lancaster seems popular, with quite a few from my son's school going there, but it does seem a bit isolated.

Son no. 1 is about to finish at Lincoln, which has been OK for him.

Son no 2 is hoping to get into Nottingham, which is close enough to the city and has a lot to do.

I work at Leeds Beckett and it's got a student-focused city atmosphere.

It depends on what someone hopes the campus and surrounding area have in addition to the course.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Lancaster is a great place! Obviously better if you are a cyclist or want to access Dales, Bowland and Lakes of course. Most students are on campus in year one then move into the city where there is a lot of new accommodation. I’d agree with comments above about seeing the tuition fee more as a graduate tax. Maintenance is tricky, my son went for the max loan to be independent, we helped out but he also got a job in vacations. His best one was with a security firm in Lancaster which took him FOC to all the music festivals and events!

OP
OP
Andy_R

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I did a Postgrad at Lancaster and there is very little to do on and off that campus. I would strongly advise anyone to go to Uni in a big city where there is plenty going on for all interests etc. No way would I want to be stuck on that campus for 3 years.

He doesn't "do" big cities, a bit like me - I can't stand them.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
He doesn't "do" big cities, a bit like me - I can't stand them.
Well I wouldn't want my child going there as I think there's not enough for them to do to keep them occupied and stimulated sufficiently. Obviously everyone is different and I hope it all works out for him.

Top Bottom