Tuition Fees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Reading this one with interest as our grandaughter, as long as she stays on her current track, has a virtually guaranteed place in the Royal Vetinary College. I see her dad blanching as he contemplates how its going to work financially , ideas posted above will soothe him somewhat :laugh:.
She has an option to work in 'spare time', she works part time for the Marriot chain, theyre more than happy to find her work at a hotel nearby.
I put the maintenance grant to her, she was already contemplating it, its just how much it covers the actual costs. Personaliy, reading some if the above, ive implored her to try not to burn the candle both ends.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@gbb - summer work, being a 'student guide' at university events/open days, student support funds/grants depending upon her personal circumstances or area are all possible options which shouldn't affect her studies.

Son no. 2 has his student loan, a scholarship grant, money we've been putting away since he was born plus a helpful family member which fortunately puts him on a good financial position and he shouldn't need extra from us.

Son no. 1 was the same, but lives well within his means.

Gunk

Guru
@gbb - summer work, being a 'student guide' at university events/open days, student support funds/grants depending upon her personal circumstances or area are all possible options which shouldn't affect her studies.

Son no. 2 has his student loan, a scholarship grant, money we've been putting away since he was born plus a helpful family member which fortunately puts him on a good financial position and he shouldn't need extra from us.

Son no. 1 was the same, but lives well within his means.

Our daughter is off to university and the best thing we have done over the years is to invest in an ISA for both our children, they now have a reasonable amount of money to take the pressure off. Some of my daughters friends have no alternative than to find work as soon as they get there. My daughter will find a job but it’s not essential.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I wouldn't advise getting part time work unless absolutely necessary. 9/10 of people I knew at Uni who worked, did so in pubs or bars, meaning late nights, overtime, lock-ins etc. This affected all of their Uni work, apart from one guy who was a total machine in terms of self discipline and dedication.

I just came home every Xmas, Easter and summer and put in as many 50 hour weeks as I could. Even then I was lucky if I broke even, and my parents paid for my accommodation to boot. I would always choose to repay debts once working, rather than trying to reduce debts whilst studying.

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom