Tumble dryer is cutting out! any suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Been brill for 2 years but suddenly started to cut out after 5/10 minutes.
It has an external filter which 'seems' clear.
Any ideas ?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It could be just a sensor not that I am an expert. Years ago you could go to an electrical shop and get whatever you wanted, now i don't have a clue.

JhnBssll

Veteran
They normally have a thermal trip which prevents overheating if the airflow around the element is reduced. Might be worth taking the back off and seeing if there are any obvious lumps of lint to remove. Unplug first of course :laugh: what brand/model is it?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
They normally have a thermal trip which prevents overheating if the airflow around the element is reduced. Might be worth taking the back off and seeing if there are any obvious lumps of lint to remove. Unplug first of course :laugh: what brand/model is it?
Its a Hotpoint Aquarius.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Seems the start relay can be troublesome on those machines which would create those symptoms. Apparently its behind the front panel, have to remove the top to get at it. They're not too expensive either - might be worth a try?

ACF

Veteran
From my limited experience, with a condensing dryer.
Had similar problem and it turned out to be the float switch being gunged up, It was a simple and straightforward process taking off back cover, ungunging and cleaning. Youtube was very helpful, also taking photos prior to disconnecting wires ensured that everything went back as intended.

You can test if it's the capacitor by taking top off machine and 'help' the drum to start (CAREFUL!) if it does start then it's the start capacitor!
I replaced the start capacitor on my Bosch recently took 20mins to get into it and 30 seconds to swap, video's on the tube.
You'll find some fluff inside the case from ultra fine stuff that evades the door filter and can pass the ducting if it's a poor fit.

Top Bottom