Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Feel free to suggest a catchier title...

Figured we could have one thread for all our planned or proposed meet ups. Stating the obvious but this isn't a closed shop! The more people involved the better and hopefully that includes guys from all the collective trainer threads and beyond! :hugs:

So far next year we've got @bobinski's Pyrenees trip in late June. Which so far @berty bassett, @Breedon and myself have said yes to. With @CXRAndy a definite maybe and hopefully some more too.

Also ridelondon. I'm not sure who's applied yet and obviously dependent on the ballot but why not try and get a few of us into it? Bit pricey admittedly but a great event in my opinion.

@kipster made what I think is a very good suggestion. Rather than just entering organised rides, why not organise our own rides? That way not only can we try and pick a time that suits us all (hopefully). But also locations that mean people from further afield (Alaska :cold:, or even Scotland :cold::cold::cold:!) , might be more inclined to join the fun!

It goes without saying though that the further south we go the more chance there is of sunshine, and less chance of getting attacked by a cave dweller! :bicycle:

Breedon

Legendary Member
Excellent idea Tommy let the thinking begin

kipster

Guru
My thinking is we pick a location / area. Take a look at the sportives that are in that area and steal the routes. Find a b&b / youth hostel close by and do a group booking. Most youth hostels do dinner (pre booked) and breakfasts. Most sportives offer a range of route distances, so as long as there is a split of people on each route then no one is left alone. As they wont be timed its another opportunity to ride together, much like the IoW which seemed to work well even though there are range of riders with different strengths.

rob01792

Über Member
If u wanted the dragon ride ive covered most of it some of the guys ive cycled with done the 180 miler this year 1 of the guys i cycle with on a Saturday has done the 100 mile route a few times and most of the sportives around this area

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

kipster

Guru
To include a climb up the gorge?!? Could make for an interesting ride :eek: We can all stop off at @bridgy 's house for lunch too .... I'm sure his better half won't mind :whistle:
Cheddar Gorge isn't that bad, there are plenty worse in that area, which I'm sure @bridgy knows well. When I did that area a few years ago I really struggled on the Old Bristol road, after a long day of lots of climbs it beat me, it just got in my head and I just stopped. A couple of guys from the club behind me gave me a 'pep' take as they passed which knocked me out of my self pity.

kipster

Guru
Just thinking out loud. If we could get our American contingent over we could perhaps fit in a few rides dotted around the place over the course of a week. perhaps the IoW again, then Cheddar, and maybe South Wales or something near Nottingham.

It'll take some organising, but is achievable

Just thinking out loud. If we could get our American contingent over we could perhaps fit in a few rides dotted around the place over the course of a week. perhaps the IoW again, then Cheddar, and maybe South Wales or something near Nottingham.

It'll take some organising, but is achievable

I would be up for anytime, anyplace if the Double Devil doesn't happen, as long as I've got plenty of time to get into shape. Although the pound keeps getting stronger. So as you seem to be able to control the weather maybe you could do something about it - but better wait until @Marino.g gets back from Chicago.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Anyone fancy entering the Cambridge grand fondo? I didn't realise how far north it actually is. It's not cheap at £88. It's Sunday 4th of June next year. A long way off but I think it sells out every year as it's closed roads the whole way. I'd enter it if anyone else wanted to have a go too. They do group bookings.

http://www.golazocycling.com/Tour_of_Cambridgeshire/ToC_Useful_Info_Gran_Fondo.php
only guessing but i would think it would be a fast one as there aint going to be many hills out there

Also no fires. I just cut my already short ride even shorter. Riding into Medford (southern Oregon) as planned didn't look like a good option.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-23-17-09-53.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-23-17-09-53.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 111

bridgy

Legendary Member
I'd be very happy to plan a cheddar based ride - a good route including Cheddar gorge, a bit of seaside and the Somerset levels and Glastonbury can easily be organised. I also know some good cafe /pub stops :whistle:. There's plenty of good bike riding around here (mountain biking too if anyone else likes a bit of that!)

Top Bottom